Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H Corps . W S Cable Sec Signal Coy R E

Scottman

I  am    researching   2nd  Lieut  Harold   Charles   Parsons   Royal   Engineers   who  was  awarded  the  Military   Cross   on   August   16th  1917    serving  with  H  Corps    W  S  Signal   Coy  ,  I  have  been  trying  to  find  out  what   the    full   title   of   W   S  is  ,  I  have   been    unsuccessful   in  finding  out   ,  any  help  would  be  very  much  appreciated  .  Alan

Scottman

"WS" was simply the name for that particular cable section. They ran from "AA" to ZZ".  Cable sections were responsible for laying signal cables from the back of a cable section wagon. 

The RE Library at Chatham have some records for the section 1.10.14 - 28.10.14 and 1.8.16 - 28.2.17.

TR

I note the same man has several Hospital Admissions 1916

june 1916 Influenza   RE   Reserve Army Signal Company   HQ
15/9/16 Gas poisoning  RE
10/9/16 accident  RE    B:L Cable Section      V Corps

Would that B:L be a similar named section ?

charlie

Edit- answer is yes- RE Library has something-Summary- for 16 Feb 1916 to 18 Oct 1916

Edited by charlie962

Hi Alan,

On 14/05/2021 at 01:27, Scottman said:

was  awarded  the  Military   Cross   on   August   16th  1917 

For his actions 4th - 7th June 1917

image.png.d3b8938ba8abd2ded6fe70e4ee43fdbe.png

Image sourced from the National Archives

Regards

Chris

Many  thanks    Terry  ,  Charlie  and  Chris  ,  I  appreciate   you  help   very  much  Alan 

Nat Archives have very brief War Diary of WS Signal Section 1917 which is signed off by HC Parsons as OC Section,  March- May 1917. It just says 'working under direct orders of OC H Corps Signal Section'. Location  at Chateau Lovie, (Ypres)

Terry, would that be the same sort of thing as held by RE Library although for different dates?

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Nat Archives have very brief War Diary of WS Signal Section 1917 which is signed off by HC Parsons as OC Section,  March- May 1917. It just says 'working under direct orders of OC H Corps Signal Section'. Location  at Chateau Lovie, (Ypres)

Terry, would that be the same sort of thing as held by RE Library although for different dates?

Charlie

Charlie , yes. 

TR