Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hard Lying Money

DirtyDick

What ho!

Has anyone precise details as to the rate of supplemental Hard Lying Money issued to sailors aboard TBDs, submarines, trawlers etc. during WW1. King's Regs and AI's offer no illumination.

For anyone else interested, it was additional pay for each day spent aboard vessels whose accommodation was considered worse than that aboard an average trawler in the North Sea and otherwise if there was no space to sling a hammock.

I know it was 6d per day extra in WW2, and during that period submariners got double HLM at 1/- per day.

Cheers

Richard

it was additional pay for each day spent aboard vessels whose accommodation was considered worse than that aboard an average trawler in the North Sea and otherwise if there was no space to sling a hammock.

Goodness me. You're pulling our legs, aren't you Ricardo? Who decided this?

Robbie :lol:

Guest Galatea

I'll have a look in the pay scales when I can. It was'nt a great deal at any time I remember getting something like 27p a day (taxable) in 1979 when the air conditioning units went U/S when in the Timor Sea and the temperature below decks was over 105 deg F. Somewhat moist I recall.

it was additional pay for each day spent aboard vessels whose accommodation was considered worse than that aboard an average trawler in the North Sea and otherwise if there was no space to sling a hammock.

Goodness me. You're pulling our legs, aren't you Ricardo? Who decided this?

Robbie :lol:

Pulling sea legs, mais non! That was near-enough how it was defined.

Lots of additional payments were made on an ad hoc basis: cutting firewood, getting 6/- per day for a skip load; working in muddy or wet conditions; cleaning out the boilers; service in hot climates; loading stores and doing 6hrs clerical work. The list goes on and on.

Galatea, many thanks for that. I believe MCMV crews still receive it (or perhaps not with the new ships?).

Richard

Reminds me of the strikes and pay claims made by the "wharfies" in Australia in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Perhaps some of these were ex-RN? Just joking.

Robbie :P

Thanks Davie, very much appreciated.

Robbie - I did hear in passing that a lot of UK Union men went out to Australia in the '60s and '70s to 'stir up trouble' with the workforce and managers out there (empire building in the working class unionised sense, I suppose), and wonder whether that was the case.

Then again, we had a South African dwarf put in charge of British Leyland to end the strikes in the late '70s (saw something on BBC4 about it quite recently, not indicating that I am old enough to remember!).

Ricardo The Red Menace