Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Third Ypres for dummies

Marilyne

Hi guys, 

So I've just been given the "go" to organize a one-day visit to Ypres for our merry band of Advanced Staff Course students... 

I suggested to the course director to hold a visit of the Salient focusing on Third Ypres, but through the eyes of a number of interesting people: Harry Patch, Noel Chavasse, Nellie Spindler, to name a few and of course the Belgian input (how small that was). And then finish under Menin Gate of course. 

BUT... we have to start somewhere... to explain the importance of the Salient and the general outline of Third Ypres... 

WHERE WOULD YOU DO THAT????  

the panorama behind Tyne Cot?? 

Or more on Messines Ridge?? 

Hill 62?? 

Any ideas, advise, suggestions on the tour?? 

I don't want to put everyone through stuffy museums and the aim would be also to go through the Kazemates and visit the brewery. I might have to split up the group have one part at the Wipers Times and one part at... I don't know... Hill 62 trenches??? We'll see... 

Thanks for your input!

M.

Waffle stop? That aside maybe the Bayernwald trenches as an alternative to Hill 62.

Artillery Wood Cemetery, and the graves of the two poets Francis Ledwidge and Hedd Wyn who both died on Pilckem on July 31st 1917.

" There's some corner of a foreign field that is forever Ireland....or Wales..."

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Waffle stop? That aside maybe the Bayernwald trenches as an alternative to Hill 62.

The Kazemates and Wipers Times beer will probably be more interesting to bar-deprived staff course attendants... 

But Bayernwald is an idea!! 

M.

4 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Artillery Wood Cemetery, and the graves of the two poets Francis Ledwidge and Hedd Wyn who both died on Pilckem on July 31st 1917.

" There's some corner of a foreign field that is forever Ireland....or Wales..."

YES!! 

Hi Marilyne, one thought would be to do your overview from the Stadenberg, 1.5km east of Houthulst forest. It was a key German OP and you get a very good feel for the topography right across Ypres itself to Mont des Cats, Kemmel and the Wytschaete Ridge. My panorama doesn't do it justice but if you zoom in you can still pan across it and get a reasonable feel. The IWM Book of Paschendaele Panoramas has a couple of good German equivalents, one copied below with due acknowledgements.

All the best,

Richard

1132906263_IMG_6348(600x196).jpg.b9845659087f2d5abe19823535703ffe.jpg

1731191973_StadenbergPano.thumb.jpg.a4147410c37c451efb748ba14aca6173.jpg

Sounds great ... THANKS!!!

M.

• 3 weeks later...

Gents, 

quick revival of this topic... to those of you who are used to bringin school groups to the Yzer ... any suggestion for a "mass" accomodation of roughly 30 persons ??? 

Yes, staff officers, but not all from the Air force, so a bit of rusticity is OK. 

Thanks. 

M.