Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Delusional Insanity..... George Walter Hickman 4th Worcestershire Reg't

wibs

Just as a way to round out this thread I'm attaching below the death certificate, just received.

To my untrained eye it doesn't add any great value ..... if anything I find things a bit more confusing.......... cause of death stated as "....carcinoma of the stomach, no post mortem (delusional insanity),..."

If there was no PM, how did they know it was stomach cancer...?... and why is Delusional Insanity quoted under cause... are they saying this was a contributory cause of death and if so how does delusional insanity contribute to cancer...?... or would it just be mentioned so as to make clear the reason for him being a patient at the county mental hospital at time of death?

243278512_HickmanGWdeath.jpg.45f15ef893d8af72417680069647c0ed.jpg

34 minutes ago, wibs said:

how did they know it was stomach cancer...?

By taking a medical history and examining the patient.

Someone who is ill, has lost a lot of wight, might be vomiting, and has a big mass in the upper abdomen will almost certainly have a malignant tumour.

PMs aren't and weren't compulsory, only if a death is unexplained in some way.

There are some records for Staffs County Mental Hospital with Staffs Archive. It was AKA St. Georges but not to be confused with the modern St. Georges on the same or adjacent site.

http://www.archives.staffordshire.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=BC13&pos=17

The collection includes some medical, patient and admission records. Although it seems that the bulk were simply left in the old building in 1995! Others may have been thinned out or destroyed either side of 1995.

Rootschat in 2013 mentions admission registers via Ancestry up to 1912, may be worth checking if it's been updated.

As he died 1919 and you have the DC you should be able to view any records although they may enforce the 100 rule as applying to the most recent entry in the A&D book. Best bet is to contact them first.

TNA also have many hits for STAFFORDSHIRE ASYLUM but the interesting ones redirect to Staffs Archive as per my link.

TEW

6 hours ago, TEW said:

TNA also have many hits for STAFFORDSHIRE ASYLUM but the interesting ones redirect to Staffs Archive as per my link.

All comments and tip re further research appreciated, ta.