Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli-2021

smawson44

Hello All,

I am planning a trip to Gallipoli this summer (late June 2021).  I have a few questions.

1.) I was planning on a three day tour divided up as Peter Hart did in the book Gallipoli (Day-1- Helles, Day 2-Anzac, Day-3 Sulva).  Any advice on that itinerary? Any must see sites?

2.) Has anyone been during the Pandemic? What is it like touring, closures, etc?

3.) Any advice for best place to stay? (preferable somewhere with food and cold beer)  Any advice on local food?

4.) For reading, I have Chambers' tour guide, Peter Hart, Moorehead, Carylon, Travers, and Rhodes.  Any other advice for reading, either tour guides or histories?

5.) Lastly any other advice to get the most out of the trip?

Cheers,

Simon

Simon,

the country is currently in the middle of an eighteen day lock-down

and from today's newspaper it is by no means clear whether or not that will be extended, or what form of restrictions will continue after that date

"A Cabinet meeting on May 17, or sometime later that week, will decide on whether the tight restrictions short of full lockdown would remain in place" [https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/turkeys-measures-see-covid-19-cases-drop-rapidly/news]

Keep checking for clarification on travel to Turkey before you finalise your arrangements 

Good luck

Michael

Turkey is on the red list for UK residents, and Government policy is that no travel for leisure purposes should be undertaken. And anyone who does go would be subject to ten days hotel quarantine, at their own expense, on their return.

Edited by sassenach

Thanks for the tips.

Currently, as weird as it may seem, tourists are exempt from any lockdown's in Turkey.  I am hoping as the cases are falling that by June there also won't be a lockdown.  Also, I am not traveling from the UK.

Thanks,

Simon

• Admin

My friend stayed in Hotel Crowded House in Eceabat. She said it was fine. 

It is a few years since my last visit with Peter Hart, but I think The Crowded House, or one of the other hotels in Eceabet is essential for such a short stay. There are some "better" hotels and more food choice to be found in Cannakale, but the ferry crossing takes quite a lot of  time out of your day. The other option, possibly a little more expensive, would be "Gallipoli Houses", operated by one of our members, and well placed as a base if you are travelling with a hire car, or a personal guide.

Keith

I am happy to endorse Keith's recommendation of The Gallipoli Houses: a very comfortable place indeed, with great hosts. But check with them asap what their position is after the lock-down etc.

For your first trip to the peninsula, then employing a guide is probably a good idea. If you've never been before and if you are limited to only three days on the ground there, then a guide will save you a lot of time as you navigate around and between the three battlefields; Helles, Anzac & Suvla.

Good Luck