Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Ribbon Identification

jasnw

I am trying to identify the two ribbons from WW1 in the attached image.  They belonged to my great-uncle who served in WW1 (315th Machine Gun Battalion, 160th Infantry Brigade, 80th Army Division) as a gunner.  He was in France from 31 May 1918 until the Armistice.  He was in the Artois Sector, St Mihiel, Verdun, and Argonne.  He also had the WW1 Victory Medal with Defense Sector, St Mihiel, and Meuse-Argonne bars.  I am particularly interested in the ribbon on the right side which is one of the few asymmetric ribbons I've seen.

429109848_ScreenShot2021-05-08at9_51_05AM.png.461634e897421bb51ec5606da4f0a219.png

The ribbons are not British. I have no idea what country they might be.

As he had the US Victory medal they might be US State issued medals.

This was a US Division and these are most probably US ribbons, but I've not been able to find anything like the one on the right and was thinking it might be a ribbon issued by the Allies.

Found an answer for both of these ribbons.  My last post here made me think about searching on Google for 'ribbon allied colors' and that proved successful.  It turned up the exact same two ribbons on a single bar, and the one on the left is a US Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) service ribbon (my uncle was a member after WW1) and the one on the right is evidently referred to as an "Allied Colors" ribbon.  It appears to have been a non-military ribbon (sans medal) made commercially for local communities in the US to award to the soldiers coming home from the war.  It is most likely that my great-uncle wore these as part of his VFW uniform.

Thanks for nudging my mind into the right channel!

The right hand ribbon is showing on the net as...

Click here

American War Medal, Issued by the American Fund for French Wounded commemorating the entrance of the United States into World War I. Medal has attached a multicolored, striped ribbon attached. Title: American War Medal, Issued by the American Fund for French Wounded . circa 1914. Whitehead and Hoag Company, Newark, NJ 

Edited by Alan24

Thank you for that additional information.  I don't have the full medal, just the ribbon, so it's nice to have the image of the medal.