Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Awards to HMS PATROL Bombardment of Hartlepool.

Sgt Stripes

I am researching 227986 PO W J Pace who was badly wounded while serving on HMS PATROL 16.12.1914 during the Bombardment of Hartlepool. Does anyone know if any awards were made to her crew for her action that day.     

Cannot help with awards 

William Jas Pace was conveyed to North Ormesby Hospital where he was treated for a compound comminuted fracture of the the right leg (A comminuted fracture is when the bone breaks into several pieces )

1058270182_hmspatroldec17th1914.JPG.4af26e6e3f8b6e560a25f8f947ebef5b.JPG

Ray

7 hours ago, Sgt Stripes said:

Does anyone know if any awards were made to her crew for her action that day.     

Nothing here: https://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritishLGDecorations1914.htm - awards were gazetted after the event, but the date of the action is usually included, and I can't find anything relating to 16th December.

sJ

That you both for taking the time to look for information. Many thanks. 

I can find onlyone award,: a DSM, but none for HMS PATROL:-

"For services rendered in action off Hartlepool on 16th December, 1914

John Walter Johnson, Signalman, O.N. J 6110, H.M.S. "Hardy."  LG 9 Apr 1915.

Later KIA in HMS ONSLAUGHT at Jutland.

Edited by horatio2

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

I can find onlyone award,: a DSM, but none for HMS PATROL:-

"For services rendered in action off Hartlepool on 16th December, 1914

John Walter Johnson, Signalman, O.N. J 6110, H.M.S. "Hardy."  LG 9 Apr 1915.

Later KIA in HMS ONSLAUGHT at Jutland.

Lt-Cdr Crabbe of Hardy wrote to his commanding officer after the action between seven destroyers of 4th Flotilla and the outer screen of the German Battlefleet on the night of the 15/16th:

'... when I made my report of the action ... I was unaware of the degree that John Walter Johnson, Signalman ... was wounded.

I would like to bring to your notice the devotion to duty shown by this man in remaining on deck and carrying out his duties, while the other signalman who was below, wounded, from 6am to midnight when HMS Hardy arrived at Immingham Docks which I consider most praiseworthy.'

The Commodore (D), Tyrwhitt, duly suggested to Jellicoe that Johnson be recommended for the DSM.

Hardy was badly knocked about and Lynx and Ambuscade were also damaged in the short night action. The Flotilla caused some damage to the Light Cruiser Hamburg with their return fire.

William James Pace's leg was amputated below the knee, He was awarded the silver war badge no 2351 on the 28/10/1916

Ray