Remembered Today:

Artillery Clerk role?

Helen48

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi Helen,

image.png.d4fe97e63cfa0552e82906cfb4891b7b.png

image.png.8ba742ed802ad5a7ba9088b64cb6e365.png

Images sourced from Findmypast - Royal Artillery Attestations

Under his 1403049 number the MoD appear to hold what's left of his service file.

image.png.328731f44d42830ae1eb6ca07424099d.png

Regards

Chris

Chris, thanks so much for this  - this is an incredible find. We knew that family rumour said that Fred had a first marriage (name unknown) and two children Alice and Charles but I have been unable for find them despite looking for MONTHS! The record that you have shared answers so many questions and gives amazing leads to fill in this part of his life. Are you able to email this to me in a different format as its hard to see/enlarge if I pm you? 

THANKS SO MUCH - its really quite a revelation! 

I can decipher some of the information but not all - but seems like he spent some time in Ireland and Scotland. There was rumour that he spent some time overseas after 1921 when his daughter was born until about 1930 but I cant see any evidence of this? 

In 1920 he extended his service (aka ‘signed on’) to complete 21 years (having attested in 1907), and then discharged on completion of Colour Service (a full pensionable engagement with the regular army) in 1929.  

He re-enlisted in the Territorial Army (auxiliary part-time forces) in 1933 and finally retired from all military service in February 1937.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

In 1920 he extended his service (aka ‘signed on’) to complete 21 years (having attested in 1907), and then discharged on completion of Colour Service (a full pensionable engagement with the regular army) in 1929.  

He re-enlisted in the Territorial Army (auxiliary part-time forces) in 1933 and finally retired from all military service in February 1937.

Thanks for confirming this. I was on the right track with interpreting and had looked up the reference and saw TA but wasn't sure if I'd got this quite right given his already long service.

Seems like he spent quite a lot of his service in Ireland and I can see reference to Newcastle but couldn't make out the other word... Tynemouth perhaps? The suggested dates and place of his second marriage to Hilda don't tie up with records as this actually took place in Biggleswade so not quite sure what the red pen refers to and his having  third child (winifred) is a complete surprise to the family!

12 hours ago, Helen48 said:

Thanks for confirming this. I was on the right track with interpreting and had looked up the reference and saw TA but wasn't sure if I'd got this quite right given his already long service.

Seems like he spent quite a lot of his service in Ireland and I can see reference to Newcastle but couldn't make out the other word... Tynemouth perhaps? The suggested dates and place of his second marriage to Hilda don't tie up with records as this actually took place in Biggleswade so not quite sure what the red pen refers to and his having  third child (winifred) is a complete surprise to the family!

Yes, he spent time at Londonderry which had infantry in Ebrington Barracks and Clooney Hall was the site of a church adjacent to the barracks.  This seems likely to be an association with garrison artillery (coastal guns) protecting the Foyle Estuary.  Tynemouth (that you correctly identified) was also the site of a garrison artillery coastal installation and Salisbury was (and still is) close to an artillery garrison at Larkhill on the Plain there.

He must have been a good soldier to be permitted to sign on after the war when the army was being much reduced in size.  His career opportunities would have truncated accordingly, which would have made advancement for both officers and men much more difficult and this became an infamous period of ‘dead men’s shoes’ within the Army.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi Helen,

On 09/05/2021 at 10:59, Helen48 said:

The suggested dates and place of his second marriage to Hilda don't tie up with records as this actually took place in Biggleswade

There is though this marriage which might fit with the date of 14.8.1922, and Salisbury and Amesbury are only about 9 miles apart.

image.png.2e34d198c85384211fe898b379d664b8.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Regards

Chris

Just now, clk said:

Hi Helen,

There is though this marriage which might fit with the date of 14.8.1922, and Salisbury and Amesbury are only about 9 miles apart.

image.png.2e34d198c85384211fe898b379d664b8.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'm fairly sure they were married in Biggleswade and have the record.. Ties in with their daughter bring born in Biggleswade too so I have got confidence in this as the family then settled in this area. Their seems to be a few errors on the service records as I have also found that Mary Mcdonald is actually Mary McDowall!