Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A VAD's alphabet, 1916

seaJane

I've just come across this utterly charming little book online. Give yourselves a smile.

Our hospital Anzac, British, Canadian. Pictures by Joyce Dennys, words by Hampden Gordon and M.G. Tindall. Link here: https://archive.org/details/ourhospitalanzac00denn.

sJ

There were 2 further volumes in the series - Our Girls in Wartime & Rhymes of the Red Triangle with similarly amusing illustrations.

3 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

2 further volumes

Thanks DJC, I'll look those up!

Edit: Our Girls in War is likewise on archive.org, but they haven't the Red Triangle. I think the Hospital ABC wins, so far.

Edited by seaJane

3 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

There were 2 further volumes in the series - Our Girls in Wartime & Rhymes of the Red Triangle with similarly amusing illustrations.

Available online

https://archive.org/details/ourgirlsinwartim00gord/mode/2up

Our girls in Wartime 

If you live in areas such as North America you can access full view  https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/009041737 Rhymes of the Red Triangle

Maureen

Here are the three books.

3C3B14AB-32C9-4CCB-98C8-5D59C292AB45.jpeg.898d044a9ff3645e320a72883f22f36d.jpeg

36B2782D-D2C8-4518-9DAE-255566094EEC.jpeg.d607e3d4fac233c45dba272c428c82e0.jpeg

FC6F400C-21BB-402F-9636-834547B2DBF7.jpeg.f61fe012885f7140acaed6054f612444.jpeg

• 9 months later...

How wonderful to read this! I have just bought a copy of this on eBay, though we have a copy that was owned by my grandmother. The drawings are all sketches of real people who served at the Exeter No 2 Hospital with the very clever artist. My grandmother is the wistful nurse portrayed under "G is for Grouses". Her best friend, who served wth her in Exeter, and then later, in Malta, is the rather glamorous lass in "N is for Nurses". I'm writing my Granny's memoirs right now, being an old lady, and before all the memories she told me of disappear forever. She had an amazing life, being strong, dynamic, clever and independent. 

34 minutes ago, Polly.Glott said:

I'm writing my Granny's memoirs right now,

How wonderful! Do keep us posted on your progress with your Granny's memoirs. She sounds amazing.

sJ

Thanks, SeaJane! I shall certainly keep you posted...there is just so much material to trawl through that I can see myself working on this right into my dotage. :) 

It would have been helpful if she had not burned all her diaries "to save my descendants the trouble of sorting everything"! 

17 hours ago, Polly.Glott said:

burned all her diaries

*faints in librarian*! :blink:

23 minutes ago, seaJane said:

*faints in librarian*! :blink:

Yes, I know!! She did leave a sort of summary about her 3 1/2 years in Malta, but with focus on superficial things. None of the terrible things she she saw, and had to do, and which she told me about when I was a teenager. For further details, I've relied on her photo album, and on Vera Brittain, who was there at the same time, but for a much shorter posting. Nothing at all about the Exeter No 2 Hospital, but the Exeter Library and other local sources have been amazing. 

This is the lady herself. Not the fashion plate. 

Granny ABC.JPG

Thank you :)