Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbreviation - Slightly wounded Cb or CIBL

Owen

What would an injury marked Cb or CIBL mean? See the image;

Googling leads me to believe it stands for Cuts and bleeding. 

1089-Grundy-3-Cb.jpg.2dff2c67d597b427a4978ddf386031ef.jpg

Owen

Unusual, not sure if the Cb is relevant to the wound or to the 25/8/16 London date. The latter is my feeling.

Ditto for CIBL, could it be a list 322/6912 with same London date?

Is this from a Canadian or ANZAC file?

TEW

Thanks, it is from an Australian record, https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=4391206

It seems that there are often two entries for the wounded, one from the Field Station, then maybe the CCS and maybe others from the next stage up. All the bits of paper were sent to London and attached to the soldiers record. I now think the L in cibl is for leg. 

Just curious, all the other injuries in the group I am looking at the moment are GSW to somewhere or shrapnel wounds to somewhere.

Owen

I’m more inclined to think they relate to casualty lists and not types of wounds

I did wonder about the C/BL.

Australians may have done things differently but normally you'd see a part of the body, even an abbreviated version EG. Leg, right or Lg, R. Cb could therefore be Chest but I have nothing for the b.

The way it's written - Wounded Slightly Cb. dated London  25/8/16. The full stop after Cb is because it's an abbreviation not a separator between the wound information and the date/location part.

Other lists for UK hospitals are normally HB lists. So I wonder if the Australians are using C/BL in place of Casualty B List 322/6912 which originated in London 25/8/16?

TEW

Thanks all, it seems to be that most entries in an Australian soldier's record have two dates, one being the date of the recording of an event, and the other being the actual date of the event. I am pretty sure that the 322/6912 refers to the number of the Field Return which recorded the event. 

Owen

• 2 months later...

Hi Owen from Canberra / @Owen

It's Jay from Sydney

I believe the Cb is an abbreviation for "cable".

Cheers mate.

The men of the 26th Bn will not be forgotten. 42,000 edits in Trove and going strong.

Edited by Guest