Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA France 24 June 1915

Pat Twomey

I am researching two brothers who served in the RGA service numbers 48169 and 42396. Their MICs state that they served in France and the date of first entry is given as 24/6/1915.

With this date I thought I would be able to determine which Battalion they served with but after checking the Long Long Trail I had no luck.

Would be very grateful if some of the experts here could give some suggestions about either dating their enlistment from their service numbers or any information about their date of entry overseas.

Thanks,

Pat

That's correct Tom the O'Driscoll brothers. Just trying to figure out which battalion of the RGA went to France on 26 June 1915.

From Near numbers:

42396 is probably Attestation c 17/8/14 and joining Plymouth, No 3 Depot RGA, 19/8/14  (Those dates are for 42395)

48169 is probably Attestation late Aug/ early Sep 1914 and joining Plymouth No 3 Depot RGA a couple of days later but the near numbers give me quite a spread of dates around Sep/Oct so I cannot be more precise. 48162 Joseph Coulson 2/9/14 is a fair example, I suggest.

As to units with which they went to France, I have no clues, sorry. 24/6/15 may tie up with a specific unit or just be a reinforcement....

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

They were probably reinforcements, although the 2 brothers entering same date suggests possibility of same unit.

Other examples of that entry date show variation. eg:

Brown 41387 entry 24/6/15 was 13 Hvy Bty RGA at Dec 1915  (LLT says the had landed 2/6/15)

Oldfield 48067 entry 24/6/15 was at Base then posted to HQ 7th Bde then to 20th 1st Siege Bty etc- see below (courtesy Findmypast). Note he had started 3 Depot 28/10/14

1591760722_GWFRGAentry24Jun1915.JPG.c88071b325dd0891a3843c8631a0ff91.JPG

CasList 16/9/18 RGA Wounded O'Driscoll 48169 LBdr M (Blarney)

This suggests actual wounding early August 1918.

Paul ororkep's suggestion of 14th Hvy Bty is relevant to this. But that is just a snapshot in time.  O'Driscoll M did not go out with 14th Hvy Bty because they had landed 22/5/15. So the question is open as to what date he might have joined them. As for his brother ......

Paul might have more ?

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, Paul and Tom for the information.

The brothers (Mortimer and John O'Driscoll) were probably reinforcements as I've searched around for RGA units that first went overseas on 24 June 1915 and didn't have much luck.

According to their MICs they both went overseas on the same (above) date and that is why I surmised that they both enlisted together. They both lived in Blarney Co. Cork and were aged 18 and 19 in 1915 and I thought they might have enlisted in Cork. Is it possible to have men with two consecutive numbers (42395 and 42396) enlisting in different (Plymouth and Cork) places?

Again, really appreciate your suggestions.

Pat

3 hours ago, Pat Twomey said:

Is it possible to have men with two consecutive numbers (42395 and 42396) enlisting in different (Plymouth and Cork) places?

As I understood it the allocation of numbers was done at the Depot they joined ie No3 depot Plymouth, rather than any link to their place of attestation.

Edited by charlie962

Thanks Charlie - is it possible that they attested in Cork and then joined in Plymouth or is that stretching it a bit far?

Just now, Pat Twomey said:

- is it possible that they attested in Cork and then joined in Plymouth

Perfectly possible

On 01/05/2021 at 12:50, charlie962 said:

CasList 16/9/18 RGA Wounded O'Driscoll 48169 LBdr M (Blarney)

Is the above available on Ancestry or did you get it from the Bt diaries?

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:
2 minutes ago, Pat Twomey said:

- is it possible that they attested in Cork and then joined in Plymouth

Perfectly possible

Excellent - thanks for that Charlie

Thanks Charlie that's really helpful.

LBdr I presume is a Lance Bombardier?