Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roger E Bebb Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

RBau

Hi, I am trying to find information and pics of my Great Grandad Roger E Bebb. His service number is 24817, and he served in the KSLI, in what my dad believes to be in the 8th Battalion.

Can anyone offer further information please.

• Admin

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As this is a very old thread your request may well get overlooked so I have split it off into a new thread of its own in the hope it may bring it to the attention of the members easier.

Good luck with your research (have you tried local newspapers of the time?)

David

Medal Rolls indicate he served with the 2nd Battalion KSLI,  no Star medal so sent out in a draft of reinforcements post 31st December 1915. The Medal Rolls may also suggest he was wounded at some point whilst overseas. 

Good luck on finding an image, I can only echo what David mentions above.

Hi and welcome

Ancestry also has a link to a Fold3 Pension Index card so Fold3 may also have further information - subscription needed (or free trial)

Medal Roll needs subscription

Medal Index free if registered

Medal Index also on National Archives free if registered

regards

Jon

Edited by jonbem

13 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Medal Rolls indicate he served with the 2nd Battalion KSLI,  no Star medal so sent out in a draft of reinforcements post 31st December 1915. The Medal Rolls may also suggest he was wounded at some point whilst overseas. 

Good luck on finding an image, I can only echo what David mentions above.

Thanks. Ill research the 2nd Battalion. My Dad thought the 8th because of a greek post card he has.

I will definately looks for old newspapers.

5 hours ago, RBau said:

My Dad thought the 8th because of a greek post card he has.

The 8th Battalion of the KSLI was disbanded and the officers and other ranks joined the 2nd Battalion on 2 November 1918. Both battalions had been in Salonika since November and December 1915. 

Hi, My Dad sent me me a pic of who he is lead to believe is either his Grandad Roger, or it may possibly be his Great Uncle Harry Meredith, ( who served as a machine gunner).

I have attached the only pic of him in uniform. Sorry for the quality. 

Is anybody able confirm this mainly based on the cap badge?

Thank you

305917041_GrandadBebbKSLI.pdf

Neither KSLI or MGC, the image shows a post war Royal Artillery soldier.

10 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Neither KSLI or MGC, the image shows a post war Royal Artillery soldier.

Thanks for the quick response. Dad did say he thought his Great uncle was either a machine gunner or  in the Artillery, but was certain he was a gunner.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, as work has kept me busy. I haven't had much time for much research, but I have been tracing my family tree too. My dad did email me these pics of a postcard his Grandad brought back with him from Salonika. Im not sure how my great grandad acquired it, and how it managed to survive his travels through the war.

1637674757_Serbia-Bulgaria2.jpg.e6c040aefb53d43b522da42eb88c4d8d.jpg

1955770517_Serbia-Bulgaria1.jpg.de0274f391dd4895cb1daab325070abc.jpg

9 hours ago, RBau said:

Just an update, as work has kept me busy. I haven't had much time for much research, but I have been tracing my family tree too. My dad did email me these pics of a postcard his Grandad brought back with him from Salonika. Im not sure how my great grandad acquired it, and how it managed to survive his travels through the war.

Serbia - Bulgaria 1.jpg

Serbia - Bulgaria 2.jpg

Hello Rbau. Just to add to the information provided above, Ancestry hold two pension cards for Roger, viewable through Fold3, one of which records his address as 5 Montford Lane, Montford Bridge, Salop. 

As confirmed by Roger’s Medal Roll recording service with 2nd Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (KSLI) I have tagged @Annette Burgoyneinto this thread. Annette is the de facto expert on all things KSLI, has been immensely helpful in the past and may hold information regarding Roger’s service not available elsewhere. Should Annette not pick this up she is  contactable on her Facebook group, Kings Shropshire Light Infantry Battlefields at  https://www.facebook.com/KSLI.Battlefields.tours/

I hope this is of some use. 

Edited by Gunner 87

Thank you all for your responses so far. I have searched ancestry and the like so far.  I have messaged the FB page too, but as I am searching info on one person, I don't expect a quick response as I know such research is a time consuming exercise. Any info passed on is greatly appreciated.