Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clasp request, so as to join Old Contemptibles' Association

Keith_history_buff

William George Guppy has a surviving service record. He started his pre-war military career in the South Wales Borderers, was transferred to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and finished his service with the Royal Engineers, with service number WR/143171.

I was told that potential members of the Old Contemptibles Association would apply to the War Office for a clasp to their 1914 Star, to demonstrate their eligibility. This is the first time that I have come across such a letter on a service record.

Partial image from Ancestry, reproduced under fair use terms

Clasp_request.JPG

I've come across a number of similar letters among surviving service records while compiling my Nominal Roll of Chums of the Association too, Keith. This correspondence ties in with efforts to form a branch of The Old Contemptibles' Association in Cardiff, which received its Dispensation from Headquarters the following year. There was also another organisation inexistence at the same time - The Old Contemptibles' Association of Wales - but this was quite separate from The Old Contemptibles' Association formed in 1925. The Welsh organisation eventually faded and most of the Groups (as their branches were known) joined The Old Contemptibles' Association during the early 1940s and came under the aegis of the Wales and Monmouthshire Area of the Association.

Keith, this may be of interest as it is an example of the correspondence sent to an applicant once their details had been verified. This original letter was sent to Chum George Murray, who joined the Walthamstow Branch and had served with the 1st Battalion, The Dorsetshire Regiment in 1914.

87936131_2740927002609005_3004206744537661440_n.jpg.f35c884430cf1bdabb995de217380746.jpg

Andrew, thank you for taking the time to share this image of a letter sent by the War Office.

Cheers,
Keith