Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Parchment Documents to a RN Sailor

zalipie

Hallo everyone! I am researching a sailor’s military service in WW1 and seek information about the following matter:

The 1915-Star-Trio was accompanied by (rather worn) parchment documents as follows:

- a 4-sided parchment document titled „Certificate in the Service of [rest illegible]“ containing personal details, ships served in, conduct remarks and other information.

- a 2-sided (smaller) parchment certificate titled „Qualifications in Stoker Ratings“ and „Special recommendation and fitness for advancement or selections“

Much information (although not all) is identical to the service record as kept in the National Archives. The NA-document, for example, contains entries about time spent in detention (on the ground of drunkenness on board), while the parchment document does not make mention of it.

My question now is: did the parchment documents stay with the sailor during his service and was it kept parallel to the one which you find in the GA? Can anyone provide me with a legible picture of these documents so that I can reconstruct the illegible parts?

Kind regards

Ulrich Kastilan

3 hours ago, zalipie said:

-.....a 4-sided parchment document titled „Certificate in the Service of [rest illegible]“ containing personal details, ships served in, conduct remarks and other info...

Can anyone provide me with a legible picture of these documents so that I can reconstruct the illegible parts?

Kind regards

Ulrich Kastilan

Ulrich, if you are able to post close up photos\scans of the documents you are having difficuly reading\interpreting, we might be able to assist you further...

Edited by RNCVR

I was able to complement the missing parts of the parchment document thanks to the helpful links of Horatio 2 . There is one abbreviation, however, I am not familiar with, as follows:

„Gunnery, Torpedo and other Examinations and Notations

Date: 23 Feb 08

Particulars: Qual. TBD

The other parchment document („Qualification in Stoker Ratings“) needs more transcription and interpretation. I am adding it to this post. I cannot decypher the entry on page 1 (17 Aug 07 - VIVID) and the meaning of the qualifications entered on page 2. What does it tell me about the man?

image.jpeg.b8d1337d48c0d7b17a1c199cb1867a65.jpeg

image.jpeg.c19c9bc3ffe638a694b1cb0b7968923d.jpeg

Qual T.B.D.  -  Likely indicates he was qualified for Torpedo Boat Destroyers.

First line 1st Document - Ability(as a 2nd class Stoker) - Fair - Intelligence - Fair.

The columns below that are all V.G. = Very Good.

COLNE was a Destroyer of 1905 to Nov 1919.

THUNDERER - Dreadnought Battleship of 1911.

2nd Document states what specialties within the Stoker branch he was qualified  in -

30 March 1911 (whilst on HMS Colne) -- "qualified in small tube WT (water tube) boilers."

22 June 1912 (whilst on HMS Kent) --- Auxiliary Watch (keeping) Certificate (in the Engine Room & Stokehold)

HMS KENT an Armoured Cruiser of 1901,  she performed exceptionally well at the Battle of the Falkland Islands

Dec 8, 1914.

Hope this assists you somewhat Ulrich.

Best....Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

Suject to confirmation by the GWF resident engineers - In 1911, serving in the destroyer HMS COLNE, he qualified in "Small Tube Water Tube Boilers" - I assume the steam source for the main engines.  In 1912, serving in the cruiser HMS KENT, he earned his watchkeping certificate for auxiliary machinery (i.e. machinery other than the main engines).

TBD usually means Torpedo Boat Destroyers

Edited by horatio2

Stoker 1st class rate badge --  would have been worn by Percival Robinson.

Sto1.JPG.6a044c16173d1d0cf0c9c45a371066ec.JPG

2 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

In 1921, serving in the cruiser HMS KENT, he earned his watchkeping certificate for auxiliary machinery (i.e. machinery other than the main engines).

TBD usually means Torpedo Boat Destroyers

1912 Horatio