Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Soldiers Effects Doc

ForeignGong

Hi all

I am researching Harry Glasgow Gunner 116555 DOW 17 Aug 1918I have found his Soldiers Effects page but what info other than money paid can be taken from this.

Any help appreciated

Peter

1523471803_GlasgowEff.JPG.ea5cd2220d132590cd57fe39d366a52b.JPG

Hi Peter. I suppose it confirms not only his next of kin but that he served as a Gunner in the RFA and the Gratuity amount shows the length of his service

On 27/04/2021 at 11:28, ForeignGong said:

Hi all

I am researching Harry Glasgow Gunner 116555 DOW 17 Aug 1918I have found his Soldiers Effects page but what info other than money paid can be taken from this.

Any help appreciated

Peter

Glasgow Eff.JPG

From the war gratuity we can say that

image.png.de0a7f64997d1f6d6738ab33fe927e21.png

https://www.wargratuity.uk/war-gratuity-calculator/

Craig

@ss002d6252

Out of general interest - if it's calculated in the month from the 28th December 1915 does that mean he could have been a Derby Scheme man, or are the gratuities only calculated from when such men were mobilised?

He is shown on CWGC as aged 29 and (probably) single when he died on the 27th October 1918, so I don't believe he would have been amongst the groups called up in January 1916.

Cheers,

Peter

22 minutes ago, PRC said:

Out of general interest - if it's calculated in the month from the 28th December 1915 does that mean he could have been a Derby Scheme man, or are the gratuities only calculated from when such men were mobilised?

In respect of Class B service waiting to be called would not count for qualifying service.

Craig

2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

In respect of Class B service waiting to be called would not count for qualifying service.

Craig

Thanks Craig.

@ForeignGong

So a bit tenuous, but one additional thing that could be implied from the Register of Soldiers Effects record is that when Harry \ Henry went to enlist at Bolton, (taken from his Soldiers Died in the Great War entry), he either intended to volunteer straight away, or was persuaded at the recruiting office to do so.  Derby Scheme and Conscription can potentially be ruled out, so at least as far as England, Wales and Scotland are concerned, he may have been among the last of the volunteers.

Cheers,

Peter

4 hours ago, alf mcm said:

Peter,

Since his mother was his next of kin it's very likely that he wasn't married.

Regards,

Alf McM

And as only his parents are shown in the additional information on his Commonwealth War Graves Commision webpage I'm very much inclined to agree. As being married would have made the call up for his age group even later than if he was a single man it re-emphasises that mobilisation as a Derby Scheme man or by conscription were unlikely. It's not really adding much - Derby Scheme recruits were still volunteers, just ones under a bit more pressure to jump before they were pushed. But the question was what information could be interpreted from the Soldiers Effects entry and so I thought I'd chuck that in the mix.

Cheers,

Peter

Once again many thanks for all the info that has come forward.

Much appreciated.

As he has no papers, it is great that I know an approx enlistment date.

Cheers

Peter