Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commander Charles William Bryant

Swinesheadvillage

Hi 

I would be very grateful for any information on the service of Commander Charles William Bryant CBE. For many year pre and post the Great War, Charles was managing director of Peter Brotherhood Ltd, which still exists today. Fortunately there is a large obituary in the local paper which includes the following (Courtesy BNA):-

image.png.45cdf6f24ed933ff16f4807d6cc5bacf.png

Would anybody be able to help with what those services were 'before and during the Great  War'. As ever all and any information is welcome.

The reason for asking, is that we are researching his wife, Lily Violet Bryant, who became the first female Mayor of Peterborough in 1939. The family lived in Fletton in 1911. One of her brothers was Major General Lancelot Daryl Hicks CB, MC, OBE.

Many thanks for looking

Kind Regards

Derek

Is there any evidence that Charles Bryant was ever in the Royal Navy? His company, Peter Brotherhood, manufactured engines for Whitehead torpedoes, and also motor boat engines during the Great War, and that would probably have been sufficient for him to earn the award of a CBE.

MB

Mr. Bryant joined the firm as general manager in 1902, and became managing director on its becoming a private liability company in 1907.

Edited by KizmeRD

Hi Horatio2

Many thanks for that spot, its much appreciated.

Hi KizmeRD

The only evidence I have for Naval Service is from the obituary and was probably unresearched other than by an interview with a family member (courtesy BNA)

image.png.9c1add51abaf1e0e4f2ce67fa6a2a166.png

So to confirm, no WW1 service, other than perhaps in an advisory/commercial role?

Kind Regards

Derek

It all starts to fit together quite well. He certainly rendered meritorious services for the Admiralty before and during the war - in view of his leadership of the engineering firm that he was MD of and its vital role in the production of torpedoes.

Was also good to learn that he had prior RN experience as a pioneering engineer officer in the Victorian navy.

And interesting to discover that the firm is still engaged in manufacturing high speed engines/turbine systems today.

MB

Hi MB

The only other query I have is not WW1 related, but linked to his Victorian service, which I hope the moderators will allow, but completely understand if they do not. 

According to the obituary, he was commissioned in 1888 and resigned 1902, From Assistant Engineer to Commander in 14 years in the Victorian Navy, where I always understood promotion was glacial, seems meteoric! Is there any way I can confirm his rank on retirement?

Despite its downsizing, we are quite proud of Peter Brotherhood's heritage and potential. They have been through a succession of owners, lets hope the latest, ultimitaley US Private Equity KPS Capital, recognise that history and invest in a bright future.

Kind Regards

Derek

He has an entry in the online Who's Who / Who was Who but frustratingly I can't gain access to investigate. Anyone lucky enough to have a public library subscribing to it could try gaining access via https://www.ukwhoswho.com.

sJ

Hi seaJane

I can see the article, but not read it. I believe the person researching Lily has access so I have passed the link to her. Many, many thanks for looking.

Kind Regards

Derek

• 10 months later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread. 

Hi Derek. I stumbled across this thread after looking up my great great grandfather, Charles William Bryant. 

I’m curious to know your connection- I do have information about my great great grandmother Lily Violet Bryant but am reluctant to post about it on a public  forum. 

Hi Ed

Welcome to the Forum and no issues with bumping an old thread. I have replied to your pm.

Kind Regards

Derek

• 3 months later...

Hello Derek

I know a lot about the history of Charles William Bryant and Lilly Violet Bryant , since I married his  grandson Peter, I understood his award was for the work he did on the torpedo for the war efforts.  He was offered a title but refused, people who knew them thought Mrs Bryant should have been offered a title for her continued good  work in Peterborough.   Their home was Westwood House and many organisations were welcome to use it for their events,     This is now a girls boarding school  in Peterborough.   I have many momentoes including a magnificent 25th Wedding Anniversary present from Peter Brotherhood presented to them.

Hi Dee

Welcome to the forum and many thanks for the contact.

As mentioned previously, I am not researching Lily herself, rather trying to garner information on Charles and his involvement in the Great War as background to a possible blog on Lily. I will send you a PM,  as genealogical research outside of WW1 is not really part of the remit of this forum.

As an aside, their house, Westwood House, is now part of a larger organisation, the co-educational Peterborough School. Boys were accepted from 2009. Alumni, however, are still called Westwoodians, carrying the School's heritage back to the Bryants.

Kind Regards

Derek