Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Card

Chris Backhouse

I am researching my great uncle, 2nd Lt James Barker RAF, killed at Driffield on 4/10/18 in, I believe, a flying accident. I have checked at TNA and found his Cadet application papers, very informative, but no Service Record - lost? The RAF Museum has provided me with a copy of his Casualty Card (F.S. Form 558). In the "Nature of Casualty" column it states "KILLED" "(Aeroacc B.S.A.S.A)". Now presumably "Aeroacc" means aeronatical accident but what do the letter after that mean? The family legend is that when joyriding, his aircraft caught fire in the air due to a mechanical failure, and he was killed trying to land. His watch was thrown out, which the family still has. His unit was the 21st Training Depot Station but I can find no war diary for them at TNA but I beieve they were equipt with Avro 504's and SE5's. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.

Chris.

He was killed while flying SE5a serial no. C8860.

According to "The SE5 File", he banked steeply near the ground and dived in at Driffield and the machine burnt out.

One more piece added to the jigsaw. The only problem is that i think most of the pieces are lost and I'll never get the complete picture, but thanks for this very valuable piece.

Chris.

Chris

Don’t give up on the jigsaw just yet.

There would have been a Coroner’s inquest into your great uncle’s death. Witness testimony would normally be given in such a case and can be surprisingly detailed. If any records survive they should shed some more light on the circumstances. East Riding of Yorkshire Archive Service at Beverley might be able to tell you whether any Coroner’s records from this time survive. If not a local paper may have reported the inquest, which would normally have taken place within a couple of weeks of the death. Any such report would be censored but may mention your great uncle by name – the Archives may be able to suggest likely papers.

In the absence of Coroner’s records or a newspaper report your great Uncle’s death certificate may provide some information. The finding of any coroner’s inquest would normally be recorded on it and can be quite detailed.

The reference for your great uncle’s death certificate is:

Name: James Barker

District: Driffield

Vol: 9d

Page: 816

You can order it online from HERE.

Regards

Mark

Chris

As an example, I’m researching an officer who was killed in a flying accident at Coal Aston, Sheffield. The coroner’s records do not survive but the inquest was reported in the local papers:

post-25-1110131710.jpg

And this is what his death certificate says:

Regards

Mark

post-25-1110131772.jpg

Mark,

Thanks for the above. The search goes on. It shows just how useful this forum is.

Regards,

Chris.