Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Cancelled" on Pension ledger?

clive_hughes

Folks,

The pensions ledger card for an Anglesey casualty Hugh Roberts 25750 includes a comment "Cancelled" across the centre, together with a date I can't quite make out.  The pension was paid to his mother, and the references on the card run up to 1930.  I gather she died in 1935.  

Can anyone suggest why the pension might have been cancelled (as opposed to say the more commonly seen "Dead" or other comment)? 

Thanks,

Clive

1854222820_RobertsHugh(25750)(1)-Copy.jpg.8faadc848e973e8eb9c5eb3c9f12f379.jpg

On 24/04/2021 at 19:26, clive_hughes said:

The pensions ledger card for an Anglesey casualty Hugh Roberts 25750 includes a comment "Cancelled" across the centre, together with a date I can't quite make out.  The pension was paid to his mother, and the references on the card run up to 1930.  I gather she died in 1935.  

Can anyone suggest why the pension might have been cancelled (as opposed to say the more commonly seen "Dead" or other comment)?

From WFA/Fold3 - On the full card, a Dependant's Ledger Card, I note two regional references of D.P./R/5 [dated 22-2-20] and 5/D/1577 - both of there relate to a Dependant's pension claim by his mother [In Wales - Region 5]

Also both references are on the corresponding dependant's pension card [not shown here] - however on this card the D.P./R/5 is struck-through.

I thus get the feeling, and thus hypothesise, that perhaps two files and/or ledger cards had been created and the main pension file perhaps then later remained under 5/D/1577

and thus it is perhaps the ledger card, with its D.P./R/5, 22-2-20 annotation, that is being cancelled - and not the claim itself

[i.e. the claim is not 'DEAD' until later e.g. 1935 - by then I think the clerking of cards, when/if done, would likely have been on the non-previously cancelled ledger = 5/D/1577 - so not seen here].

That's my hunch.

Sadly there is very, very, very little chance that the main pension file has survived to help us out.

Why I cannot find another ledger card to back up my guess = ?? 

[I worry that it means it was the one destroyed and so thus turn my argument on its head!!]

A quick mention here of Craig @ss002d6252 should get another response from which we may all learn more [not least the sequencing of the pension claim referencing]

:-) M

Looking at the back of that Pension Card I think the date could be 21/11/30 which is one day after the final entry on the reverse in blue i.e. 20/11/30. But what it means I do not know.

George

DP/R/5 would be the earliest reference and, when the claim was dealt with by the team dealing with region 5 it was re-assigned to one of their reference numbers in Feb 1920.

The ledger was in use until 1930 by the notes, and then the cancelled notation appears to date from 1930.

It may be that the ledger reference was to the ledger itself being cancelled from use rather than the claim but it's unclear exactly what was happening in the 1930's. It's around this time (mid/late 20's and in to the 30's) when the blue and red OK notations seems to be really used so some sort of checking was taking place.

Craig

Folks,

Thank you for those observations.  I'm always happy to be enlightened.

Clive