Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wooler and District silver medal

trench whistle

Picked up this small silver medal today. I found a good website explaining what it is, a token of gratitude to those from Wooler and District who served in the great war. This was obviously a valued object as it has been well polished in the past. Would anyone be able to suggest how to go about finding out who the recipient, W R Bertram, was? 

IMG_20210417_112138.jpg.01c0dd01ef23c294bddd6b65f5999535.jpg

IMG_20210417_112129.jpg.c2827e47e396207f34359285e09a54cc.jpg

Probably

Walter Robson Bertram
b 1899
Served 2nd NF 83681 BWM/VM
m 1921
1939 a sheep Farmer at Milfield (near Wooler)
d 1973

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

I think his service number suggests a June 1918 mobilisation although he may have been called up earlier and trf'd to reserve? Not sure about this but try looking at similar number service records for an indication as to how he started.

Many years back I stayed at a sheep farm at Milfield (but forgotten whose!) so I am interested to know what you learn.

charlie

I see the 2nd Bn returned to France from Salonika in June 1918 so it may be he joined them shortly after this ? He must have been there before Nov 1918 as he was awarded the BWM and VM.

The 1939 National Register records that Walter and his wife, Mary, were living at Sandy House, Milfield, Wooler. With them were sons James H (born 1922) and John M (born 1924), also a couple of redacted entries.

A search of birth registrations for sons James and John gave me their mother's maiden name of MARSHALL.

A search of births in the Wooler area with a mother's maiden name of Marshall came up with a George W born in 1930,

Further searches came up with George W marrying a Wilhelmina M ALLAN in 1957. A local newspaper (the Berwick Advertiser 14 November 1957) reported on the marriage. The report recorded that his parents lived at Sandy House, Milfield.

A search of the electoral rolls reveals that a George William Bertram was (in 2019) living in Wooler. With him was his wife Wilhelmina and a daughter.

I can't find a death for George or his wife, this suggests that they are still alive and (hopefully) still at Wooler.

If it is your intention to try and return the medal, I can PM you the address.

Edited by Allan1892