Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pals Books

John_Hartley

I don't know how widely this is known but all of the Pals books are to be re-printed in hardback.

Mike Stedman was at tonight's Lancs & Cheshire WFA and made this announcement. The authors have been invited to update their books and Mike is after "new information" about the Manchester & Salford Pals Battalions. He is particularly looking for new photos, documents, family stories, etc.

Mike is happy for his email address to be mentioned here so he can be contacted at:-

mike.stedman@virgin.net

John

B)

Excellent news John, do you know when they are to be published and by who?

Martin :lol:

Still by Pen and Sword at Barnsley.

It not definite yet if all the Pals series will be done as I found out when I made an enquiry this afternoon.

They are going to be a smaller hardback size similar to the one they published about the Leicester's

Terry

Forgive me for blowing my own trumpet but I have just signed a contract with Pen and Sword and they will be publishing my history of the Swansea Battalion (14th Welsh) - next year I guess - I'm still working on the final draft and wrestling with the illustrations!

It'll be similar to the Tigers (Leicesters) volume and I agree that the new format is much more manageable (compact) than the original series which was a massive size.

Needless to say I'm delighted and whilst the Swansea area will, I guess, be the main market if any of you wish to be kept informed of progress drop me an e-mail - but don't hold your breath!

Bernard Lewis

• 5 months later...

Just by way of an update, Mike Stedman mentioned at tonight's Lancs & Cheshire WFA that the slightly revised "Manchester Pals" will be published in February and "Salford Pals" probably in April.

John

Hi John,

I did'nt know you were at last nights meeting,

if i'd known I would have introduced myself, nevermind.

Excellent talk,I did manage to give him a couple of pictures of my Greatgrandfather, who was in the 1st Salford pals,and hoping he might be able to put them in his book.

Hope to see you at future meetings.

Take care

Ian.

Ian

When you originally posted, a week or so ago, that you had just joined the WFA, I did post back suggesting you ask the Chairman, John Richardson, to point me out.

I was a bit disappointed with Mike's talk. About 30 minutes too long on the Thiepval Visitor Centre - which meant that he didnt get anywhere near what must have been going to be his full tour of the south of the 1 July Somme area. My wife actually came with me to hear this - as it's the bit of the battlefield that i tend to wander over and she was interested to find out if anyone other than the 17th Manchesters took part in the battle. ;)

I should be at next month's meeting so hope to meet you then.

John

I haven't heard of this from Pen & Sword. However, before they embark on deluxe hardback editions of my book on Fort Douaumont, I wish they'd improve their photo reproduction quality. I'd rather see mine reprinted in paperback with better photos that in hardback with the grainy quality that they have at the moment.

Cahristina