Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital Ship, Assaye. Was this torpedoed in Gallipoli?

Karen Darbyshire

Hi, I’m new to this site and have been trying to read as many of the comments as possible. I’ve started a new thread as I can’t quite see anything that fits my question.

In short, my Dad, sister and I are trying to track down as much information as we can regarding our Grandad ( my Dad’s father).

He was Private Myles Darbyshire. Service number 1447. Regiment, Royal Army Médical Corps. We know very little, except that, he was Serving as a medical assistant on a hospital ship coming out of Gallipoli, which was torpedoed. We understand he was one of only a few survivors and was at sea for several days before being rescued. Via the Forces War Records site we have managed to get his Service Number, which has also led us to the HMHS Assaye. 
We may have got some of the detail wrong as little was said about his time in the war during his life time and we are only just piecing together details now.

So our questions are; Are we correct that there was an attack on the Assaye as it left Gallipol?How do we get more information about the attack? where did the survivors go; what was the date of the attack? 
I’m sure this is not an exhaustive list, but we are very new to this and would just be grateful for some more information if anyone can kindly help.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

Thank you in advance for any help. We intend to go to Kew when we are able to.

Karen.

Responses from myself and @BillyH have been posted here including pointing to the existing pension records on Ancestry.

Suggest we await further questions.

Cheers,

Peter