Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension Card Abreviations

chrisrichards

As the WFA have recently released the pension records of soldiers who survived I have been able to find the following 2 records for my father Tom Richards.

His service record did not survive so my only previous documented record for him was his medal card/roll which showed him to have served in the East Riding Yorkshire Yeomanry and in the AVC and discharged to Z reserve.

The latest pension card release however shows that he also served in the Labour Corp whcih is new to me and also gives an address which I know through other family research to be correct.

As I was unable to find a service record for him I wrote to the MOD in case he had continued to serve after 1920, but they could find no record.

Can anyone interpret the pension card for me? I am particularly interested in when he may have been discharged and if there are any other sources that I should be looking to.

Grateful thanks for any information and advice

Chris

72470846_RichardsTom(04304pensionawardcard).jpg.914188e1d50810f3661016eb2346e554.jpg

695433373_medalrolls.jpg.6ed462e107256867be1cff4c0a0f951f.jpg

The pension card shows that he was discharged to the Class Z reserve - effectively he was discharged subject to a potential recall if the armistice failed. The pension started on 15 March 1920 which would have been at the time of his discharge.

Craig

Thanks Craig for that info, at least that's one of my unknowns sorted out!

If he was transferred to the Labour Corp after 11/11/18 would that be why it was not mentioned on his Medal Card?

I wonder what his 14/- a week pension was for? I don't recall that he had any particular obvious disability.

Chris

On 14/04/2021 at 17:44, chrisrichards said:

I wonder what his 14/- a week pension was for?

@ss002d6252 should be able to help you with a percentage level of disability [and perhaps a guidance illustration of what sort of disability that might have been - there was a guide to such] - taking his rank as Sgt.

:-) M

A Sgt would be a Class 3 pension so. 14s  would appear to fit with a 30% disability (which covers things such as loss of a thumb, or a few 3/4 fingers, but minor level injuries and disabilities also came in to this sort of range).

Craig

Thank you Matlock and Craig,

This fits with my memory of my Dad saying he was wounded by a shell at Gaza. He had a long scar on his right calf to prove it!

Chris