Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was the youngest squadron commander of WWI?

Grid

Hi all,

Anyone have any idea as to who was the youngest squadron OC of the war? I would also be keen to know who was the youngest scout/fighter commander of the war. (Might be the same person.)

My starting point is Keith Caldwell (DOB: 16.10.1895) who was only 22 when he took over 74 Squadron in March 1918.

Any thoughts/analysis greatly appreciated. Maybe someone has a list based on age, youngest to oldest. Would be interesting.

Adam

Edited by Grid

Hi Nils,

I was beginning to think I might be the only person interested in this topic :-)

I just had look at De Crepsigny and it appears he was born on 8.4.1896, which would make him 20 when he was given 29 Squadron in 21.3.1917. Is that right?  Either way incredibly young.

Do you think COs got younger or older as the war progressed. for example who was the youngest CO in 1915 versus 1918?

729528197_Screenshot2021-04-20095016.jpg.47a1c4491a57aac38d92275e4e1b6429.jpg

De Crepsigny was born on the 8th of April 1897, not 1896. Therefore he would have been nineteen when taking over 29sqn.  Golly, that's my age! :lol:

So less than 3 weeks away from his 20th.

Might also help to have his full name, correctly spelt:

Hugh Vivian Champion de Crespigny

Errol

Edited by Errol Martyn

14 hours ago, Errol Martyn said:

Errol

Damn, how did I miss the incorrect spelling? Atrocious of me, absolutely unforgivable!

Somewhat connected:  

• 1 year later...
On 23/04/2021 at 20:42, Errol Martyn said:

Errol

Hugh Vivian Champion de Crespigny gained RAeC Certificate No 1099 on 26 February 1915

Citation for the award of the Military Cross in the London Gazette - 16 May 1916: -
"2nd Lt. (temp. Capt.) Hugh Vivian Champion de Crespigny, Suff. R. and R.F.C. For conspicuous gallantry and skill, notably when he attacked five enemy machines over the enemy's lines. He drove away one, and brought another to the ground badly hit. His own machine was then crippled by the fire of the remaining three, but, after emptying one more drum at them, he brought his machine down safely in our lines."

Citation for the award the of the Distinguished Flying Cross in the London Gazette – 3 December 1918:-
“Maj. Hugh Vivian Champion de Crespigny, M.C. (Suff. R.). (FRANCE) A brilliant and gallant officer who displays high initiative in night flying, in which service his example has been invaluable to those under his command. On the night of 23rd-24th. September Major Champion de Crespigny carried out a long distance bombing raid. Flying a machine unsuitable for night duty, and in face of adverse weather conditions, he reached, and successfully bombed, his objective. A fine performance, calling for cool courage and determination."

Vivian was my great grand uncle (brother of my great grandfather)