Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

.PO.W D.O.W

BIFFO

i AM RESEARCHING A YOUNG LAD

j.wickens A coy 2nd Batt Royal Berks

he died of wounds 28 Sept 1917,after being taken prisoner some where near Polygon Wood.

I have 3 pow documents ,not very clear what they say?.

can any GWF see if these either say when he captured,what his wounds were.I think he D.O.W at Jaeghen German field hospital,intered Iseghem Communial Cemetery.

Re buried 1924 Harlesbeke New British Cem.

any help would be good :thumbsup:

1227650095_powgwf.jpg.1b93d4edd9e41d808bd6012e688f24f5.jpg

There is no indication as to when and where he was captured. Died of a GSW to the thigh and buried at Iseghem.

Charlie

The following is from piclic as John's medals were for sale with ebay this year. I can't validate the information but it appears to give an idea when he was captured.

"Whilst serving with the 2nd Btn at the 3rd battle of Ypres, He was hit by German fire and wounded while ‘he was sniping in a tree’ . He was officially reported as missing on the 2nd September 2017 and became a German POW where he died of his wounds on the 28th of September 1917 whilst in captivity"

https://picclick.co.uk/Ww1-Sniper-Medal-Group-Death-Plaque-2Nd-303841407263.html

Edited by Gunner 87

Those files say that he died on the 29th (not 28th) at Jaeghen field hospital and was buried in Iseghem cemetery in Grave 971.

His Red Cross POW card is here (for some reason attached to that of Herbert Wickens, just ignore that one). They are the same documents as in the original post but easier to read.

Hi Biffo,

He appears on this Casualty List as missing - NLS link. A bit long winded (with no guarantees), but you could look for surviving files for other men from his Regiment on the same list  to see what they say. If there are any commonalities, it might point towards (within a couple of days, or so) when he actually went missing/was taken PoW, and then cross reference back to his Battalion war diary, to see if anything jumps out.

Regards

Chris

right chaps,:thumbsup:Guunr 87,I know I bought them.

Charlie once again thank you,

Chris 1st I like the way your post is bold and I am able to see with duff peepers to read.

I have read the WD,on 28/29th  just names of mm awards,BUT going back to the 14th

Company snipers supporting 1st Royal Irish Rifles &3rd London Regiment,3pm Germans noticed on high ground near Polygon wood,no mention of wounded/killed as per usual pbi not even mentioned.maybe this is where John shot in thigh and captured ?

Knittinganddeath,will check out red cross

:poppy:

Hi Biffo,

It looks like John may have been taken PoW on (or about) 16th August 1917. Looking at the first half dozen men from the 'missing' section of the casualty list that I could find, they are all 2nd Battalion men, who were subsequently accepted as being killed.

image.png.3a9769d98ad7c97dd557083e5c4fa469.png

PoW records show that the date of death for Ayres is when he died in the care of a German field hospital.

Regards

Chris