Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Identification of army regiment

steve1961

Hello I wonder if anyone can help with identify my Great granddads regiment in WW1 he is in both photos with two different cap badges. William Sturgeon born 1880 died 1955 born in Stowmarket.

DSCF2566.JPG.020ee749c3acd0bf90746f4253f61633.JPG

DSCF2569.JPG.7789f32f021fffd69f1d0f7480c41e8b.JPG

In the second photo he’s wearing the special hospital blue uniform of recovering wounded and I don’t think it’s an Army cap badge that he’s wearing.  I certainly don’t recognise it and it might be a hospital lapel pin badge that he’s using in an improvised way, but I’m unsure.  
In the first photo the view of cap badges is from an acute angle and difficult to make out.  It’s not helped by being only part of the photo.  Can you show all of the image plus any other images you might have.  It will also be useful to have the views of @Michelle Youngand @CorporalPunishment?  The Suffolk Regiment seems the most likely but we need a better view of your photo. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

15 minutes ago, steve1961 said:

Thankyou very much for your help, regards steve

Can you provide a better view of the first photo?  He’s dressed as an infantryman in 1914 pattern leather equipment and has an old Metford bayonet converted (modified) for use with the Charger Loaded Long Lee Enfield Rifle.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 13/04/2021 at 03:02, EDWARD1 said:

It resembles the 8th (Anson) RND

Yes it’s a similar shape, but not sufficiently to be the same I think you’ll agree.  That’s why I don’t immediately recognise it.  Overall it seems very unusual.

0AD4378B-4155-4B81-BBFC-4DEEBB8D526D.jpeg.7b28e6c71c59cba6825a4144327e73cf.jpeg

67D4800F-9E7D-4042-8348-F999CCBBF940.jpeg.0b2fb665a8f18a5a51ef861116a1720a.jpeg

The Anson cap badge matches even though you have distortion with the reflection. The point  of the spear is hidden by the top of the cap, the shaft is reflecting the light. The coronets three distinct "laurels" can be seen, the scroll with three steps also matches the silhouette.

12 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

The Anson cap badge matches even though you have distortion with the reflection. The point  of the spear is hidden by the top of the cap, the shaft is reflecting the light. The coronets three distinct "laurels" can be seen, the scroll with three steps also matches the silhouette.

Brilliant!  I can see it now that you’ve described it.  A good spot.  I was completely fooled by the bits that I couldn’t see.

For @steve1961:  you can read about the Anson Battalion of the Royal Naval Division here:

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thankyou very much Edward 1 and Frogsmile for finding the answers, its been a mystery for a while i only have those two photos of him in uniform. His service number must be correct as William was born on 20 Jan 1880. I have his 1914 xmas tin complete with tobaccos and cigarettes.  He ran a pub in Suffolk till his death in 1955. Regards steve

22 hours ago, steve1961 said:

Thankyou very much Edward 1 and Frogsmile for finding the answers, its been a mystery for a while i only have those two photos of him in uniform. His service number must be correct as William was born on 20 Jan 1880. I have his 1914 xmas tin complete with tobaccos and cigarettes.  He ran a pub in Suffolk till his death in 1955. Regards steve

Glad to help Steve, I recommend that you seek out the book “Call to Arms” by Joseph Murray.  It’s about a different battalion (Hood) of the RND but it gives one man’s experience and will give you a really good idea of what your great grandfather went through.  It’s also an easy read: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/call-to-arms-from-gallipoli-to-the-western-front/author/murray-joseph/  
If you seek around it’s still possible to find Anson Battalion cap badges too, which make excellent displays if you wish to commemorate him in a physical way.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Sorry, not ignoring you all, been at work. Yes, definitely Anson but the other image isn't that easy, curved shoulder titles but I can't really make out the badge.

Michelle 

5 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Sorry, not ignoring you all, been at work. Yes, definitely Anson but the other image isn't that easy, curved shoulder titles but I can't really make out the badge.

Michelle 

Yes that’s a good point Michelle, I too am not really sure if the cap badge in the first photo is the same as the second.

Just got here as well. I agree, second photo definitely Anson Battalion, RND. I think, from what I can make out, the first photo shows the cap badges of the Hood Battalion, RND.    Pete.

14 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I think, from what I can make out, the first photo shows the cap badges of the Hood Battalion, RND.

No mention of the Hood Battalion in the link that Edward1 posted. Mobilized on 2 July 1917, and posted to the 3rd Reserve Battalion at Blandford the following day, before being drafted to the Anson Battalion on 30 October 1917. He was admitted to hospital in France in early April 1918 with 'myalgia mild', before ending up in Stanley Hospital in Liverpool later that same month. Two other hospitals are mentioned further down, but I can't figure out how they are connected. It certainly doesn't look as though he returned to France, however, before being demobilized in January 1919. 

39 minutes ago, Tawhiri said:

No mention of the Hood Battalion in the link that Edward1 posted. Mobilized on 2 July 1917, and posted to the 3rd Reserve Battalion at Blandford the following day, before being drafted to the Anson Battalion on 30 October 1917. He was admitted to hospital in France in early April 1918 with 'myalgia mild', before ending up in Stanley Hospital in Liverpool later that same month. Two other hospitals are mentioned further down, but I can't figure out how they are connected. It certainly doesn't look as though he returned to France, however, before being demobilized in January 1919. 

Be that as it may, having studied the first photo even more closely, I am now in no doubt at all that both men in that photo are wearing the cap badge of the Hood Battalion, RND.     Pete.

I agree with Pete, the badges certainly look like Hood Battalion.  I suspect he only served with them in Britain and was then drafted overseas to the Anson Battalion.

A2C4913F-AC76-4135-A7DC-A2EE4E052A90.jpeg.3bbe0000a70659520968cf5ad8a57907.jpeg

B8FC7FC1-E70E-4521-AB8D-C949D746F09D.jpeg.8750e007b867f690bc233d722ce5ab42.jpeg

Many thanks for all the information you given me, my mother passed away last month and we found different photos tucked away in a draw. I have just ordered the book called Call to Arms.

• 1 month later...
On 12/04/2021 at 19:22, FROGSMILE said:

Brilliant!  I can see it now that you’ve described it.  A good spot.  I was completely fooled by the bits that I couldn’t see.

For @steve1961:  you can read about the Anson Battalion of the Royal Naval Division here:

I am fairly certain that the Officer in this picture is Lt Tisdall RNVR VC.