Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Sanitary Sections

Eric

Good morning all of you,

I'm looking for any type of information or document regarding the involvement of British Sanitary Sections in the Vosges and Alsace sectors (northeastern France). The only source I know and I have is Ward's "Mr Poilu". I also know two ambulance drivers who got killed in July 1915 lie buried in Charmes's Commonwealth Military Cemetery; they served in Sanitary Section 3. It seems a Section 4 served in Alsace and near Belfort too...

Thanks a lot in advance

Best regards

Eric

PS I know there are first-hands documents on Section 3 at Kew too, but if you know of anything else (were diaries or official histories of Sanitary Sections published?)...

Hi Eric,

My grandfather was in the 1st London Sanitary Section. I have found it extremely difficult to find out anything about the sanitary sections, i.e where they were etc.

Whilst I can't help you at all with your query I was wondering if you could give me any tips on where I could look for more information about them

Thanks

Rod

Eric,

Thanks for that link, it was very useful.

I understood that Sanitary Sections did not come into being until around 1916, at least thats what I understood from the historian at the RAMC and that would seem to be the time that he was transferred to the 1st London SS who were then attahced to the 69th Division.

I know that my grandfather served in France from 1914, he has the 1914 star but I am having trouble finding out which unit he served with up until 1916, I guess RAMC units were attached to a whole host of battalions and quite often swopped around. I know that he travelled over with the 2Bn Grenadier Guards in August 1914, but whether he stayed with them or not I do not know, there is no mention of medical units in their war diary for that period.

I am going to Kew later this month so hopefully will find some answers.

Is there anything you need whilst I am there?

Regards

Rod

Hi Rod,

Well, well, of course, there are many things that you could find for me at Kew... :rolleyes:

I've tried to find "Sanitary section" elements through the online Procat catalogue, but unfortunately, all I found was linked to 1917 war diaries. Too late: what I'm looking for concerns 1915 and 1916. And the "British Ambulance Comittee" keywords got me nowhere...

So, I don't know what to tell you. "Don't bother" perhaps, since I don't exactly know what to ask you about!

Best regards and thanks anyway

Eric

PS Just in case... The Sanitary Sections I'm interested in are number 3 and number 4.