Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service immediately after the war

BillyH

(Please excuse my almost total ignorance of WW1 soldier's service after the war!)

I believe that some men were required to continue service, in Gibraltar for example, and other men volunteered to sign up for more service, in Russia or Northern India/Pakistan.

My question is how long would the men have signed up for? and in particular would 6 months extra service have been an option?

BillyH.

Thanks for that Chris, very interesting reading.

I am (of course) a regular user of the LLT but I wasn't aware of that page.

BillyH.

44 minutes ago, BillyH said:

(Please excuse my almost total ignorance of WW1 soldier's service after the war!)

I believe that some men were required to continue service, in Gibraltar for example............

BillyH.

The go-to source for further detail about those who re-enlisted in 1919 is the link that Chris Baker had posted above.

If you had enlisted in the army from 1912 under Regular terms, you still had seven years of colour service to complete before you went back to civvy street. That said, there was a need for men, and those men whose time was about to expire were incentivised to re-enlist for shorter terms as documented in the link. Of particular interest

Men on normal regular army attestations could also re-enlist if their colour service expired before 1 September 1919. It was not open to men who had already been discharged, transferred to reserve or demobilised.