Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'X' Flight War Diary 12 Aug-15 Oct 1918

Errol Martyn

Does anyone here know if any of the AIR1 files for the RAF's 'X' Flight happen to record a log of flights made each day. I am particularly interested in those undertaken by Lieutenants A. Murphy (pilot) and F. C. Hawley (observer) who were on detachment from 1 Squadron, AFC.

I am familiar with the CCI articles on the subject of 'X' Flight but these do not go into the activies of these two airmen there in detail.

1 Squadron, AFC's War Diaries record flights day by day but when Murphy and Hawley were sent off to 'X' Flight these were not recorded by the squadron.

There is a colourful account by L. W. Sutherland on pages 105-106 of his 'Aces and Kings' account of 67 Squadron, RFC/1 Squadron, AFC of Murphy (and Hawley?) being shot down over the desert while with the 'X' Flight then carrying out 'home-made' repairs on the spot and flying 'the wreck 180 miles to Ramleh'. Anyone able to verify and/or date this event, please?

TIA,

Errol

Hi Errol

I did a trawl through X flight war diaries a few years ago as a result of interest in the back ground when we worked on an archaeological survey

884915638_hawleyetc..JPG.cdd8a1e6f9237a86f0c5541e239d3659.JPGin Jordan in the late 1990s. Checked through my images from Kew. Hawley & Murphy seem to have been attached sometime in August 1918 with their Bristol Fighter-the reports are a bit fragmentary but they pop up in reports from August 1918 but with no definite joining date. However this entry shows the information on the incident you are interested in. The incient covers the 15th-16th September 1918. I think the X landing ground was at Azraq, up in the north-east of Jordan. They are back in action with another Bristol on the 17 September

Hope this helps

All the best

Dom.

And here is Murphy's combat in the air report for the incident that confirms they were operating out out of Azraq (Azrak)

murphyCITAR.JPG.9063d98319cb320e4b38875501439f71.JPG

cheers

Dom.

This is spelndid stuff, Dom, and very much appreciated.

At the risk of my becoming an Oliver Twist, did you happen to copy any other 'X' Flight-related documents for the 12 Aug - 15 Oct 1918 period that might record any other doings of Murphy and Hawley? (You could email to me at errol.martyn@xtra.co.nz if that is easier for you.)

Also would you have the AIR1 reference for the documents copied here, please?

With thanks.

Cheers,

Errol

Hi Errol

Glad it was useful-the extracts and images above are from:

AIR 1/1667/204/100/8

AIR 1 - Air Ministry: Air Historical Branch: Papers (Series I)
Subseries within AIR 1 - "X" Flight R.A.F. Middle East
Reference:     AIR 1/1667/204/100/8
Description: War Diary.
Date:     1918 Sept.

There are other references to Murphy & Hawley-I will sort through and create a pdf and email it to you.

All the best

Dom.

Thanks Dom, that is most kind of you.

Cheers,

Errol