Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance Corporal Arthur George Butcher of the 13th Battalion, Rifle Brigade

IanButcher

I wonder if anyone may be able to help? I'm very new to this and a novice looking into my family history. 

I’ve been looking into my Great Uncle’s involvement during the Battle of the Somme. His name was Lance Corporal Arthur George Butcher (Z/2741) of the 13thBattalion, Rifle Brigade. He died on the 10th July 1916. As I understand the 13th were originally attached to the 21st Division, then moved to the 111th Brigade, 37thDivision. It appears that the 13th were in reserve of the 56th Brigade (19th Western Division) who were in action at La Boisselle before 6th July 2016. However, for a short period, the Brigade was then attached to the 34th Division from 7th July 1916 – 21st August 1916 also at La Boisselle, the period during which my Great Uncle unfortunately died. If this is correct, this is when he would have been on the front line. As far as I can tell, on the 10th July (the day he died), he was part of an attack on the Tara-Usna Line towards Ovillers. My Great Uncle was killed in action. My Grandad (also now passed) told that eye witnesses relayed that one minute my Great Uncle was there, then next he was gone, suggesting that he had been killed by German shelling. This would match with the fact his memorial is at Thiepval, for those ‘missing’ on the Somme. I also noted that many other members in the Battalion also died that day. The above also appears to correlate with the following extracts I’ve found:

“On 6th July 1916 the 13th (Service) Battalion moved to Albert on the Ancre in reserve to the 56th Infantry Brigade as they prepared to play their part in the Somme offensive. During the following days they took over the trenches running across the Albert-Bapaume road, relieving the 8th Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment in the frontline. However, on 10th July the 13th (Service) Battalion, Rifle Brigade was ordered back to the support trenches due to the congestion of troops in the front being too great. Later that afternoon the Battalion was subjected to a four hour bombardment which caused sixty-three causalities.”

“Less than an hour later at 8:15 p.m. the Battalion received orders to attack the German Front line at 8:45 p.m., half an hour later. The Battalion’s attack was met with resistance in the form of machine gun fire from enemy positions at Ovillers. Inexplicably before the last companies had advanced 200 yards a runner arrived with the message that the attack was cancelled and the Battalion was ordered back to their start position despite having penetrated the German third line of trenches and captured 200 prisoners. This attack of the 10th July cost the 13th (Service) Battalion twenty officers including the Commanding Officer, Adjutant and all the Company Commanders and 380 Other Ranks. On the 1st January 1916 the Battalion’s strength was listed as 1,037 officers and men. In a period of less than twenty-four hours the 13th (Service) Battalion lost nearly fifty percent of their total number.” 

Was my Great Uncle one of the 63 killed by initial shelling (which would match the eye witness accounts) or did he perish in the later cancelled attack? However, reference to the 13th appears sparing, with other accounts of the attack on Ovilliers not referencing their involvement? The Battalion's movements, no doubt in response to the heavy losses in the first days of the Battle of the Somme, appears to have made it difficult to verify? Therefore, I wondered where I might find more details so I can verify what may have happened? In particular, I'd like to know more about events of 10th July, again to verify what may have happened to him on the day he died? I understand their maybe war diaries and other sources or even if it's another forum on here that may help? If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Anything that may fill in gaps or verify accounts would be helpful. 

In the near future (post Pandemic), I hope to make a trip to the area and it would be great if I could (with a degree of certainty) retrace my Great Uncle's final days. I’ve two sons who are learning about WW1 at school, so I thought it would be a good way for them to learn and for me pass on some family history.  

Thanks,

Ian Butcher

• Admin
27 minutes ago, IanButcher said:

28 minutes ago, IanButcher said:

I understand their maybe war diaries and other sources or even if it's another forum on here that may help? If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum

I recommend you have a look at the Long Long Trail (LLT) website on how to research a soldie (link top left)

You can currently download the relevant war diaries for free from the National Archives provided you register.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354104

It's always worth looking at the next level diaries as well as these often contain messages,maps and operation orders

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4555685

I doubt if anyone can say whether or not your great uncle was killed in the initial shelling or the attack.  The fact his body was not recovered and identified does not neccessarily mean he was 'blown to bits' simply that he died on the battlefield.

As you have noted nearly all the men from the 13th Bn who died that day are commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial however a quick look at CWGC database shows Rfn 10220 Andrews who was 'brought in' after the war identified by his groundsheet. His original burial was at map reference Sheet 57D 10.d.4.2. You can download the trench maps from the NLS database  and overlay a modern map over the location.

https://maps.nls.uk/ww1/trenches/

I dare say a number of men, later 'unknowns', were brought in from their original burial which was probably close to where they fell.

Good luck with your research

Kenf48, 

Many thanks for your advice and links. I shall look them up and see what I can find. 

Much appreciated!

Ian

Hi Ian

I take it that you have seen there are surviving service papers on Ancestry.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1219/images/miuk1914f_128127-00533?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=bze501&_phstart=successSource&pId=229669

One of these suggests that a pocket book and correspondence were sent back to his father, Jacob.

Kind Regards

Derek

Ian,

A few accounts come to mind. There is a credible account in "For The Duration" this being the story of the 13th Rifle Brigade by D. H. Rowlands. There is also the personal diary of J. A. Johnston.

Johnston's account:-

"On the night of the 9th we started off again, our destination being the front line. The constant succession of star shells and Very lights sent up from the opposing line of trenches revealed scenes much more terrible than any we had seen before. All the refuse of a battlefield littered the ground, shell fragments, empty cartridge cases, battered steel helmets both British and German, tatters of equipment, full bandoliers, bayonets, coils of barbed wire and their mashed supports, all combined to make the ground a huge rubbish tip.

We had a fair number of casualties before we reached the lines we had to occupy. 'A' and 'D' Companies at once proceeded into the front line trench and 'B' Company, to which my machine gun team was attached, and 'C' Company took up position in a trench about fifty in the immediate rear. A lot of work had to be done so that it was late, or rather early the next morning, the 10th July, before we had any rest. Utterly worn out, I had fallen asleep after the order "stand down" was given, and before I had cleaned my rifle. The colonel came round on a visit of inspection and enquired whose was the dirty rifled, on being informed it was mine, said I should be allowed to sleep but to have it cleaned as soon as I woke.

The position of my gun team was on the extreme right of the reserve line. The trench petered out into open ground, not being any great length of time there, I cannot say much about the lie of the land on either side of us. There were so many things to notice, and so much work to be done, that my memory does not retain the impressions then received in detail, except when they were connected with special incidents. In front of us the ground rose very slightly before dipping down to the village of Pozieres and the plains of Bapaume; so much I have gathered from the trench maps of the area. Still in front, but a little to our right, ran a ridge of ground, past the nearest shoulder of which could be seen a wood and some battered houses marking the site of Bazentin. Farther to the right, and slightly behind me, the village and woods of Montauban and Mametz were just hidden by this ridge swinging due south.

The whole morning of the 10th was spent digging ourselves in securely, now and then having to throw ourselves flat in the trench as the 5.9 inch shells burst among ourselves destroying our defences almost as fast as we were erecting them. I do not know all that took place in the front line, but we in the reserve trenches were pounded for several hours by the German artillery.

My diary notes that we were under a very heavy bombardment during the afternoon. I remember having to take a message to some other part of the line and, on the way, spoke to some friends in passing. On my return I found that in the meantime they had been killed by a shell, which had landed in the trench at their feet. I had to step over the bodies in order to reach my gun position.

About 4 o'clock our artillery opened up on a section of the German lines on our left and, exactly at the hour, we had orders to "Stand-to". A shirt while before, a Lewis Gun Team of 'B' Company had three casualties. Two of them brothers. One was killed outright and the other, badly wounded and only half conscious, kept asking for his brother, not knowing he lay dead at his side. The wounded one recovered and I met him nearly two years later on his way out to France for the third time, wearing on his sleeve two gold bars to show he had been out again and wounded again since he was with us.

Evening began to draw in and for the first time that day comparative quietness reigned in our part of the line.

More to follow.

Andy

Ian, there is more, in fact it covers the whole war. However after this it covers "The Survivors" and re-organisation. He was a bit of an artist, the last few pages are all pencil diagrams.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

5 hours ago, IanButcher said:

I’ve two sons who are learning about WW1 at school, so I thought it would be a good way for them to learn and for me pass on some family history.  

Ian,

Welcome to GWF.

As a bit of an aside to your original enquiry

This could perhaps be something else your sons might also reflect on - those that were left behind.

There are three pension record cards at WFA/Fold3.

Arthur George Butcher's mother, Alice, received a dependant's pension for the loss of her son = 7/- a week for life, from 6-12-17 [Awarded 26.2.18]

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

"For The Duration"

I presume that you have the Regimental account??

Andy

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Andy,

Thank you so much for the information provided. The sources you provide verify what I thought I knew, which is great. It is tough reading, so hard to imagine!

Out of interest who were D. H. Rowlands and J. A. Johnston? Presumably surviving officers? 

The other question that comes to mind is that the descriptions state the positions of different companies. Is it possible to know which soldiers were in which company to understand my great uncles potential (aimed) route? As you would have read, my Grandad insinuated that my great uncle died from shelling, so it may be, in line with the account, he died earlier in the day and did not partake in the the later assault? Johnston's account of taking a message to some other part of the line, passing friends and on his return finding they had been killed by a shell and stepping over their bodies very chilling! I suppose we'll never know for sure?

You asked if I had the Regimental Account. Is that the one to be found on the National Archives? If so, then I downloaded it this morning via a link provided by another helpful contributor. 

Thanks again for all your help, 

Ian

21 hours ago, Swinesheadvillage said:

Hi Ian

I take it that you have seen there are surviving service papers on Ancestry.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1219/images/miuk1914f_128127-00533?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=bze501&_phstart=successSource&pId=229669

One of these suggests that a pocket book and correspondence were sent back to his father, Jacob.

Kind Regards

Derek

Derek, 

Thanks for this. I've download most docs now and will have a good look later. It appears he got a 'slap on the wrists' during training for a 'dereliction of duty', tut, tut!

Do you think the pocket book and correspondence would have been retrieved from his body and were sent back as a sort of keep sake? Or was this something of a more formal precess? 

Thanks,

Ian

22 hours ago, IanButcher said:

Kenf48, 

Many thanks for your advice and links. I shall look them up and see what I can find. 

Much appreciated!

Ian

Hi Kenf48, 

Thanks again for the links, I've now downloaded and reviewed and the records correspond with the accounts provided by others, which is great to know. 

I also looked at the mapping and wondered if you maybe able to advise further I found the  57D part easy enough, but could not get beyond this with any certainty. It would appear  most sheet not were followed by a further lettered coordinate e.g. 57DNW before the 10.d.4.2. It's probably me not being clever enough to locate it, but are you able to clarify the sheet reference or potential location. 

Also, do you know of any sites with detailed mapping of the British trenches in the Ovillers area?  The accounts provide name 'streets', so it would be good if I could plot their route to the front line?

Thanks again,

Ian 

19 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Ian,

Welcome to GWF.

As a bit of an aside to your original enquiry

This could perhaps be something else your sons might also reflect on - those that were left behind.

There are three pension record cards at WFA/Fold3.

Arthur George Butcher's mother, Alice, received a dependant's pension for the loss of her son = 7/- a week for life, from 6-12-17 [Awarded 26.2.18]

Matlock1418, 

Thanks for this. Any further information is welcome. Can I ask what was your source? 

Thanks,

Ian

56 minutes ago, IanButcher said:

Can I ask what was your source? 

The pension cards at WFA/Fold3

Hi Ian

We had a young relative of one of Fletton's casualties at our heritage day. His comment on seeing his great grandfather's charge sheet was:- 'Its just the same now, they tot up every little misdemeanour until a bigger one potentially comes along, then they can throw the book at you...'

With regard to the pocket book and correspondence, I made that comment in the hope that somebody more experienced may pick up on it. I was suprised to see so little and its the most personal items. I haven't read definitive accounts of less personal items being auctioned for family benefit or divvied up, but it may have happened.

Kind Regards

Derek

2 hours ago, IanButcher said:

Do you think the pocket book and correspondence would have been retrieved from his body and were sent back as a sort of keep sake? Or was this something of a more formal precess? 

It was throughout a formal process to get identification off fallen soldiers and became an increasingly very standardised process by the end of the war/after.

It was not without reason that soldiers were all expected to keep their pay book in the same top pocket of their uniform jacket - to aid quick retrieval - and their personal diaries, letter and photos etc. seemingly commonly kept in the other.

Firstly to collect army documents such as paybooks - initially for identification purposes - but also personal details & effects such as rings to perhaps send back to NoK.

Don't forget a soldier's paybook also commonly contained his Will.

Not all such returns seem to have been welcomed as they could have blood and other remnants of the demise of the soldier of the soldier on them - Many books and cigarette cases with bullet holes in them etc.

In fact the early war process of removing all identification, including the single dog-tag provided [and just marking of a grave] made later identification of bodies found without grave markers all the more difficult and impossible in many cases - hence so many "Unknown" / "Known unto God" on headstones/memorials

Later two dog-tags were issued and one was intended to remain with the body to help reduce the lack of identification.

It didn't help that, as the military hadn't expected such a long and static war with delayed recoveries of bodies [expecting quick recovery of bodies from a fluid battlefield] so the dog-tags were made of pressed fibre and were not durable - so many left with a body didn't do the job intended when the body was much later recovered, or perhaps 'concentrated', to an I/WGGC cemetery.

Later as soldiers had become increasingly wary of becoming an 'unknown' many soldiers purchased or made their own private identification too - my GF, who I am pleased to say survived, made a supplementary 'homemade' metal bracelet with his name, rank and regiment details on it [and I have and treasure it now].

Edit:

Without seeing his SR - The suggestion that a pocket book and correspondence might have been recovered and recorded as returned to NoK might perhaps suggest that his body had been found, and that it was perhaps not destroyed by a shell, but I would also suspect that such larger personal effects would have been kept with his large pack [part of his 'marching order' which would have been left behind and thus be easy to recover and return] as the attack would have been made with the lighter personal scale of webbing [in 'fighting order' only] - perhaps should not give cause for increased or excessive hope.

Edited by Matlock1418
addit & edit

36 minutes ago, Swinesheadvillage said:

Hi Ian

We had a young relative of one of Fletton's casualties at our heritage day. His comment on seeing his great grandfather's charge sheet was:- 'Its just the same now, they tot up every little misdemeanour until a bigger one potentially comes along, then they can throw the book at you...'

With regard to the pocket book and correspondence, I made that comment in the hope that somebody more experienced may pick up on it. I was suprised to see so little and its the most personal items. I haven't read definitive accounts of less personal items being auctioned for family benefit or divvied up, but it may have happened.

Kind Regards

Derek

6 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

It was throughout a formal process to get identification off fallen soldiers and became an increasingly very standardised process by the end of the war/after.

It was not without reason that soldiers were all expected to keep their pay book in the same top pocket of their uniform jacket - to aid quick retrieval - and their personal diaries, letter and photos etc. seemingly commonly kept in the other.

Firstly to collect army documents such as paybooks - initially for identification purposes - but also personal details & effects to perhaps send back to NoK.

Don't forget a soldier's paybook also commonly contained his Will.

Not all such returns seem to have been welcomed as they could have blood and other remnants of the demise of the soldier of the soldier on them - Many books and cigarette cases with bullet holes in them etc.

In fact the early war process of removing all identification, including the single dog-tag provided [and just marking of a grave] made later identification of bodies found without grave markers all the more difficult and impossible in many cases - hence so many "Unknown" / "Known unto God" on headstones/memorials

Later two dog-tags were issued and one was intended to remain with the body to help reduce the lack of identification.

It didn't help that, as the military hadn't expected such a long and static war with delayed recoveries of bodies [expecting quick recovery of bodies from a fluid battlefield] so the dog-tags were made of pressed fibre and were not durable - so many left with a body didn't do the job intended when the body was much later recovered, or perhaps 'concentrated', to an I/WGGC cemetery.

Later as soldiers had become increasingly wary of becoming an 'unknown' many soldiers purchased or made their own private identification too - my GF made a supplementary 'homemade' metal bracelet with his name, rank and regiment details on it [and I have and treasure it now].

Thank you both for the further information. The reason I ask is that my Grandad always suggested (or it was reported back to the family) that my great uncle "was there one minute and gone the next". This and that fact his body was never 'recovered', meant that the family had understood (assumed) this meant he was 'blown off the face of the earth' from shelling. My Grandad used to get awfully upset when recalling his brother and so we never questioned it. However, if papers were recovered from his person it suggests that his body (to a degree) is likely to have remained, despite him dying of his injuries? Not that it really matters, but it is important to note. 

1 minute ago, IanButcher said:

However, if papers were recovered from his person it suggests that his body (to a degree) is likely to have remained, despite him dying of his injuries? Not that it really matters, but it is important to note. 

Please see my edit which I typed as you typed.

6 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Please see my edit which I typed as you typed.

Matlock1418, 

Thanks again, I really appreciate your time and input. I suppose we will never know for sure? I'm sure it was heart breaking for my great grandparents to receive no matter how the papers ended up getting to them. 

Ian

Ian,

Johnston was part of a Lewis gun team, not an officer, but left a good diary of training/events of the 13th RB. Rowlands was a sergeant in the 13th RB and wrote "For the Duration" and used surviving officers to assist in the compilation of the book which was published for the Old Comrades Association.

Regimental account attached.

Andy

image00001.jpg

image00002.jpg

Just trying to dig out some maps I have somewhere for you but this was from the 34th Division diary.

Andy

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 17.43.41.png

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 17.42.11.png

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 17.45.41.png

I’m researching a family freind WJCooper R/9031 Kia 15th nov. I’ve downloaded the diaries I don’t know if this helps. For 10th July
matt

75859354-48E2-4682-A960-B6F01C2F5669.png

983E3684-EE6C-4091-9D68-F83EFA3C1EA0.png

1 hour ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 19.43.56.png

Stiletto, 

Thanks again for the information provided. The mapping is great and makes it easier to visualise and relate to the written accounts. 

Excuse the (probably) obvious question, but I presume that the coordinates in your earlier post '34th Division Disposition Report' relate to this map?

Recalling my school geography, for example, coordinates X.14.b.8.2, would be 14 is the larger square, b would be top right of the four squares in the larger square, and 8 and 2 would be an estimate using the dots (length and width) in the smaller square? Therefore, that coordiante would be were the 13th Rifles were positioned on the morning of the 10th July? 

Thanks,

Ian  

1 hour ago, IanButcher said:

coordinates X.14.b.8.2, would be 14 is the larger square, b would be top right of the four squares in the larger square, and 8 and 2 would be an estimate using the dots (length and width) in the smaller square?

Yes, usually with final digits = Easting (8) before Northing (2)  [i.e. for most maps - there are a few/some oddballs in a few areas, but I don't think they apply above]

As the larger numbers square side was typically 1000yd each smaller alphabet square side would be down to 500yds so smallest/digit squares sides down to 50yds = not too bad for infantry  [but if I recall correctly, especially on some larger scale maps, those could be further divided by 10 down to a 5yd x 5yd location - the sort of thing required by artillery when trying to hit a pill box with HE]