Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Assevillers New British Cemetery Query

MDPMicahDominicParsons

Hello everyone,

I have been researching a Private Herbert Harold Kenney from The 1/6th Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment who was killed in action in what I believe to be his dugout on Sunday 4th February 1917. I have just come across this document which mentioned Private Herbert Harold Kenney being buried in a the memorial plot at Assevillers New British Cemetery. This file is not filed under his name on The Commonwealth War Graves Commission website and I was curious to know what this could mean and would I be right in saying that remains of Private Herbert Harold Kenney were recovered?

I have noted that there is a special memorial for three men including Private S. Rosinsky (20210), Private W.F. Mowbray (4123) and Corporal W.G. Perkins (21093) from The 1/6th Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment. I believe that Corporal W.G. Perkins and Private W.F. Mowbray were found together but that leaves just Private S. Rosinsky.

I have spent most of today trying to figure this out so any support would be much appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

doc1966691.JPG

1.JPG

Edited by MicahDominicParsons

I suspect as he is on the Thiepval memorial panel 9a, 9b and 10b , he was originally in the plot as Kenny and there are no spares, ie, believed to be buried near here, in this cemetery or unknown headstones. The decision was to include on Thiepval. 

5244, 5224 number confusion. I'm at work internet bad, check his mic or a service record or pension record incase his number was changed. I've got one at moment with one number on grave return yet two others on cwgc records and mic.

My ipad wont open scans from ancestry and cant do on the phone,so sorry not much help

Hello Chaz,

Thank you you so much for your message, his serial number is a mistake on this form. To me this form suggested that part of his body was recovered. The men buried in this cemetery from The 143rd Brigade were killed between February 1917 and March 1917. I believe that Private Herbert Harold Kenny was killed in a bombardment prior to a German trench raid on Sunday 4th February. I believe he was either buried near to where he fell or in Kiboko Wood Cemetery but I was lead to believe that his grave was totally lost but this form indicates something different.

I really hope I can get to the bottom of this.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Edited by MicahDominicParsons

Managed to check ancestry and looks like 5224 is your man Herbert Harold Kenney.

My guess is he transferred to a different battalion, got renumbered but if the identified his body with his old I'd disc that's the one they used.

You need to write down the different records or have a couple of screens open to cross check, but I suspect it's a renumbering issue. Maybe some confusion otherwise it's a trip to the cemetery to see what the headstone says, if it's a special memorial only, then his name is on Thiepval as his body wasn't found. If iwgc records found a body or parts unidentified they might have given the group a special memorial, I've seen a few around cemeteries 

Hello Chaz,

I think there may be more to this story than meets the eye and it is confusing me a little to be honest. I really hope that I may be able to get to the bottom of this.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

can I refer you back to my recent problem, you will see there is a difference in reporting numbers and regiments.

Hello Chaz,

I will check this out. Thank you so much for your help.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons