Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JOSEPH ELDER, Gunner 300705, 4th Highland (Mountain) Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery (T.F.)

Tom Lang

I'd like to leave a place-holder here for Gunner Joseph Elder.

I began his story in 'Soldiers and their Units".

Joseph ELDER, Gunner 300705, 4th Highland (Mountain) Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery (T.F.) - Soldiers and their units - Great War Forum

I have since submitted my case to CWGC for their consideration.

I know that it takes a loooooooooooong time to dot all the 'i's and cross all the 't's.

This is just to make sure that his case does not get 'lost'.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

Edited by Tom Lang
add link

• 2 weeks later...

I have received an email from the staff at the SNWM in Edinburgh Castle to say that they have entered Gunner ELDER's name in their Rolls.

This information will appear in due course on their website.

I am attaching a highlighted snippet from the page they forwarded to me.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

529045670_J_Eldersnippet.jpg.9bcdbc5285f5075c4f480953f379f69f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I received an email from the CWGC:

"Thank you for your non commemoration submission in respect of Gunner Joseph Elder, 300705.
I am writing to acknowledge receipt and can confirm that this has now been passed to our Commemorations Policy Manager for further review.
Once they have completed their assessment I will let you know if we are able to progress this case on to the relevant service authority for formal adjudication".

Tom.

• 8 months later...

Tom, I just saw this. Thanks for your efforts.  Here he is on my Nominal Roll of the Brigade NCO's and OR's (now standing at 1,620 men):

Elder, Joseph #2811 & #300705   

Gnr - Awarded War Badge # 476174, he enlisted on 17 Nov 1915, and was 24 when discharged on 12 May 1919. Died 4 April 1921 from injuries remaining from his illness, 4th HMB (Died)

• 1 month later...

Today I received this message from the CWGC stating that the "relevant Service Authority" [The National Army Museum] have rejected this case.
The text of the email message is:

"Thank you for your submission of Non-Commemoration Case 11316, 300705 Gunner Joseph Elder. 

We have received an adjudication decision from the relevant Service Authority and been instructed that this individual does not qualify for commemoration as a Commonwealth war casualty, according to CWGC’s eligibility criteria. The case was rejected by the Board based upon the presented evidence, noting there was no indication that the cause of death was linked (contracted during or aggravated by/attributable) to military service.

We appreciate this may make for disappointing news. We nevertheless value your patience and hope that you can understand the need to apply our criteria consistently and in line with the decisions that military authorities came to at the time, to ensure that everyone is treated equally. If you require further clarification, please contact us.

Kind Regards,
[I have deleted the name for privacy reasons]
Commemorations Officer".

It is disappointing that this soldier was discharged due to Malaria; and died 21 months later from ""Pulmonary Tuberculosis"- Several Months; Haemoptysis:- Sudden". [Haemoptysis is coughing up and spitting blood derived from the lungs or bronchial tubes as a result of pulmonary or bronchial haemorrhage.]".

Lest We Forget!

Tom Lang

On 23/01/2022 at 15:08, CSMMo said:

Tom, I just saw this. Thanks for your efforts.  Here he is on my Nominal Roll of the Brigade NCO's and OR's (now standing at 1,620 men):

Elder, Joseph #2811 & #300705   

Gnr - Awarded War Badge # 476174, he enlisted on 17 Nov 1915, and was 24 when discharged on 12 May 1919. Died 4 April 1921 from injuries remaining from his illness, 4th HMB (Died)

Thank you for your advice, assistance and personal hard work.

I greatly admire your work.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.