Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Underage sent to Merchant Navy

Pvte Lynch

G'day,

My grandfather, Percy Herbert Lynch, joined the 7th Battalion Essex Regiment on 5th Jan, 1915 at the age of 15. One family member says that his true age was discovered some months later, at which point he was sent back home and joined the Merchant Navy. Another family member disputes he served in the Merchant Navy, and believes that he saw little action before being honourably discharged on 2nd August 1919 while overseas.

Based on his SWB record (which confirms his enlistment and discharge dates) and the history of the 7th Battalion Essex Regiment, my theory is that his age was discovered, and that he did serve in the Merchant Navy until he reached the legal age, at which time he rejoined his regiment in time for the Battle of Sharon.

Casting doubt of this theory is that his MIC has no mention of service in the Merchant Navy and no record of the Mercantile Medal. Also the SWB record doesn't list any break in service (though I atrributed this to the army not discharging him and using the Merchant Navy as a place to 'put him on the shelf' till he reached legal age).

Is my theory possible, or is another theory more likely?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Stephen

Have you tried the medal rolls for the Merchant Fleet Auxiliary and the Royal Naval Reserve at Kew? Both are in the ADM 171 series. Also you could try contacting the Essex Regimental Museum in Chelmsford.

Fred