Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chattri Memorial commemoration 2021-cancelled

MichaelBully

Sad news I am afraid, . The Chattri Memorial service has been cancelled for the second year running. 

From the Chattri memorial website https://www.chattri.org/  And do please visit the website, there is a 3 minute video which totally captures why the monument is so revered. 

"The Chattri is a memorial built to honour the Indian dead of the First World War. It stands on the Downs near Patcham at the place where Hindu and Sikh soldiers who died in Brighton war hospitals during 1914-1915 were cremated. It was unveiled by the Prince of Wales on 21st February 1921.  " 

From latest email to supporters. 

"Once again. I find myself writing to you to inform you that the Chattri Memorial Service, due on Sunday 13th June 2021, will NOT be taking place. Although the situation is improving with the advent of the vaccine programme, we continue to find ourselves in the unfortunate position of having to deal with the effects of Covid-19. The Government's timetable to ease the current lockdown makes it is very clear that restrictions will not be eased by 13th June and so regrettably we are unable to proceed with the Service "