Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sjt Joseph Taylor MM, B Battalion Tank Corps - which Tank at Cambrai

charlie2

I‘m trying to establish if 76693 Sjt Joseph Taylor MM was involved in the Cambrai offensive and if so, which tank he was allocated to.

Sjt Taylor transferred to the Tank Corps from 24/Manchester on 28.12.1916 and remained with B Battalion till 26.10.1918. His service record has survived.

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

You probably already know that his MM was as 14239 with 24th Bn. Manchester Regt. - (LG 11-11-1916) awarded for the earlier part of 1916:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29819/supplement/10931

His MM would have helped his selection for the Tank Corps.

I think B Battalion Tank Corps was renamed 2nd Battalion? 2nd Battalion seem to have some War Diaries available (FREE on TNA at present):

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=2+Battalion+tank+corps+WO95&_sd=&_ed=&_hb=

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 18.03.37.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

He seems to have been one of a group from the 24th Manchesters to tfr to the Tank Corps (1914-15 star roll off Ancestry):

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 19.24.27.png

Thank you Ivor, interestingly the 8 men on the roll from the 24th Bn were all original members of the battalion from 1914- very early 1915. I wonder if they thought they were not doing enough in a Pioneer Bn.

Charlie

I would image it was the attraction of being involved with what was seen as new and exciting, game-changing technology at the time.

If you look at the War Diary for 20-23rd November this TC Battalion was in action from Dessart Wood via Marcoing to Bourlon Wood and Fontaine, west of Cambrai. Trench Map extract 24-11-1917 (FREE): https://maps.nls.uk/view/101724024

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 06.53.15.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

• charlie2 changed the title to Sjt Joseph Taylor MM, B Battalion Tank Corps - which Tank at Cambrai

Hi, you may be aware there are two books specifically relating to B Bn's experiences - these are Tank Action in the Great War by Ian Verrinder and Veteran Volunteer by Frank Vans Agnew (both available from Pen & Sword). Sgt Taylor doesn't appear in the index of either, and sadly doesn't feature in the crew lists assembled by Ian covering the attack on November 23.

However I'm afraid there are very few crew lists surviving for Great War tank actions, so the fact that his name doesn't appear is inconclusive. Unfortunately it's often impossible to link an individual to a particular tank because the records simply haven't survived.

B Bn is unusually fortunate in that one of the company commanders called Louis Henshall preserved a treasure trove of documents which are now in the Imperial War Museum: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1030013643 I know Ian Verrinder used these papers as a source, so the fact that Sgt Taylor's name doesn't appear his book suggest his name doesn't appear. But Ian Verrinder is often on the GWF and may be able to add more.

All the best,

J. Taylor (no relation)

John and Ivor, many thanks for your help. I wasn‘t aware of the two books or what resources are available, the Tank Corps is a new area to me. 
Charlie

I've just looked at his service record and he was obviously one of the most senior NCOs in the battalion (WO2 / CSM) so I would expect to find some mention of him in the War Diary. I take it you've also checked newspapers which may give some mention of his war service.

I see he was granted leave in early Jan 1918 which was just after Cambrai - in answer to your initial question, he would certainly have been involved in the battle as the full strength of the Tank Corps was committed, but unfortunately at this stage it's not possible to say what he actually did.

It may also be worth checking the Tank Museum Archives at Bovington when they reopen, to see if they have anything on him in their B Bn collection.

All the best, John

Thank you John

I‘ll take another look at the War Diary, I may have missed something. The only reports I have found in the local paper (Oldham Chronicle) relate to his service with the Manchesters. 
Thanks again

Charlie

Sorry I missed this one,

Ian Verrinder kindly sent me a copy of his database some years ago and Joseph Taylor doesn't appear.

That said, the list is not a full list of the Battalion - mainly No 5 Coy. 

53 minutes ago, delta said:

Sorry I missed this one,

No worries and thank for your reply. I thought it might be a long shot but if the question isn‘t asked.......

Charlie