Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R N A S

GROBBY

Thank you for your help .I have tryed looking for 115140 George Walter Blockley there but cant find him.The number is his RFC/RAF NUMBER I have no other numbers for him On his RAF service record he seems to be down for the RNAS on 21/6/17 but nothing in the navy ratings .According to his service record he was Army then RNAS then RFC/RAF

Thank you they have his service record wrong then  as he was down as RNAS on 21/6/17 and he joined the Army on 6/11/16

Screenshot_2021-03-24 British Royal Air Force, Airmen's service records 1912-1939 Image findmypast co uk.png

This seems to show he transfered to the RFC on 10/1/18 but in that case where is his service record for the RNAS . Strange

The ADM 188 series would include all the RNAS ratings. In general their service numbers begin with an F prefix. Following the merger of the RNAS and RFC into the RAF, the F was dropped and 200,000 added to the former RNAS numbers. 

Your chap's number is clearly an RFC one. I wonder whether he was in the RNAS armoured cars? For example, a 1917 release date, with a consequent gap prior to joining the RFC. 

This man was never in the Royal Navy despite the odd entry in his RAF records. He was never given an RNAS Official Number and no man of that name ever served in the RN with No,115140. He never served in RNAS armoured cars. He never served in RMLI or RMA. He never served in the RNR or RNVR,

Ergo - he was Royal Flying Corps or attached thereto from the army.