Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Having used the great war forum for the last 10 years for its amazing amount of expertise in World War One, I feel it's time to share my 10 years of research into my own extended family with the Blencowe name and it's various spellings including my own Blinko. Apart from the Blencowe name I have included many Blencowe spouses, sons and daughters with other surnames in the study .

I have created a website Blencowe's in World War I that includes over 400 men and women from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, USA and Great Britain. Its remains a work in progres however, I welcome feedback, critique and corrections of those interested to review. I apologise in advanced that I may be slow to respond to messages on the post as Im in the throes of an international move.  I also hope that this website may prove useful to those who are researching their own men and women who may have served alongside the many regiments, Naval and Air Force units that appear in my pages.

I am providing the link to this password protected pages as a thank you to members of the forum, please do not share this link outside of forum members.

Link https://ww1.blencowe.one-name.net/      password when required ww1

A facebook page Blencowes that served is the social media page for sharing recent posts to the website. 

• 3 years later...

Thank you so much for the website. It gave me some very good information on a medal set  have Captain E. C. B. Blencowe.

Your most welcome, Your blog is most impressive. ECB Blencowe of course wasnt a Blencowe by DNA and for that reaso isnt in my one name study of the Blencowe Family but his bravery and service to his adopted country I recognise as outstanding.

What a coincidence. Only yesterday I updated my record on female casualty Mabel Blencowe with regards to the Army Register of Soldiers' Effects. This is what I have on her. including the Gale/IWM photograph of her, her name on the memorial in the Royal Garrison church and of her headstone.

Blencowe

Mabel Edith

Rank/Title/Service Number: Sister                                                                                                

Unit/Force: Territorial Force Nursing Service                                                                                 

Place/Date of Birth: Oxfordshire; Oxford/12/10/1879                                                           

Place/Date of Death: France; Merville/10/3/17 (CWGC, Officers Died and Roll), 12/10/16 (family)  

Place of Burial/Memorial: France; Pas De Calais; Longuenesse (St. Omer) Souvenir Cemetery; III. B. 22

Remarks: The 1881 census shows John George Blencowe (b. 1839, d. 22nd January 1892 at St. Paul's Villa, 20 Kingston Road, Oxford, baker and grocer) living with his wife, Emma Blencowe (nee Young, b. 27th April 1855 in Govilon, Newport, Monmouthchire, m. 28th December 1875 in Fridewides church, Osney, Oxford, eleven children, d. 1938) of 51, Bainton Rd., Oxford. four of the children four died in infancy) at St. Pauls Villa,

20 Kingston Road
,  St. Giles, Oxford. They have one child being Mabel E. Blencowe. There is also a nurse maid and one of John’s employees as a lodger. John Blencowe was a baker who had a shop in
Walton Street, Oxford
. Two siblings had already died being Emma Elizabeth Blencowe (b. 1876 in Oxford, d. 1876 in Oxford) and John George Blencowe (b. 1878 in Oxford, d. 1878 in Oxford). Mabel was baptised on the 20th November 1879 at St.Phillip and St. James Church, Oxford. The 1891 census finds the family living at 20 Kingston Road, Headington, Oxfordshire. This shows John J.(sic) Blencowe married to Emma Blencowe. There are now six children being Mabel E. Blencowe, Walter Charles Blencowe (b. 1882 in Oxford, m. Miriam Midian White on the 4th August 1912 at Charlbury parish church, Oxfordshire, d. possible suicide, buried 20th April 1925 in St. Mary Magdalene churchyard, Oxford), Lucy Agnes Blencowe (b. 13th April 1884 in Oxford, m. Leonard Hester Page in 1913 in Woodstock, Oxfordshire, two children, d. 18th December 1974 at 7 Third Acre Rise, Oxford, Oxfordshire), George Henry Blencowe (a twin, b. 1st February 1886 in Oxford, d. 1956 in Canada), Florence May Blencowe (a twin, b. 1st February 1886 in Oxford, d. Vermont, U.S.A.) and May Margaret Blencowe (b. 1890 in Oxford). There is one servant. The 1901 census finds the family still living at
20 Kingston Road
but with Emma as the head of the household as John had died in 1892. Emma was continuing with the business. There were seven children at home. These were Mabel (now a Post Office clerk), Walter (a grocer’s assistant – probably for his mother), Lucy (a Post Office clerk), George (a tailor’s apprentice), Florence, May and a new sibling, Arthur Harold Blencowe (b. 6th December 1891 in Oxford, m. Estella Louisa Bunce on the 7th July 1921 in Summertown, Oxfordshire, d. 28th January 1961 at 27 Ramsey Road, Headington, Oxford). Two other siblings had died being Alice Blencowe (b. 1881 in Oxford, d. 1882 in Oxford) and Alice Meta Blencowe (b. 1890 in Oxford, d. 5th March 1891 in Oxford). The 1911 census finds the family still living at 20 Kingston Road, Oxford. Emma is still there as a widow and a baker/grocer. With her are Walter (shop assistant), Lucy (shop assistant), George (tailor's cutter), May (typist), Arthur (clerk) and a domestic servant. Whilst originally entered at their mother’s address the names of Florence and Mabel had been deleted from the form. Mabel could not be found in the 1911 census. Florence has been traced to Billing Road, Northampton where she is working as a hospital nurse. We also know that she served as a staff nurse, QAIMNSR, at Kinmel Park Camp from the 13th November 1916. The Official Diary of Maud NcCarthy, Matron-in-Chief, B.E.F., records :- "Abbeville. Sick list: Received telephone message from Sister Bannister, Sister in charge of 7 CCS, saying that Sister M. E. Blencowe, TFNS had been evacuated to 7 General, seriously ill with cerebro-spinal meningitis. War Office and relatives had been informed. Wired to Matron-in-Chief, War Office and Matron-in-Chief, TFNS, sent copies of wires to DGMS, and arranged for a relief to join 7 CCS." (9th March 1917), "Abbeville. Sick list: Received wire from 7 General Hospital informing us of the death of Sister Blencowe, TFNS. Informed Matron-in-Chief, War Office, and Matron-in-Chief, TFNS and sent copies of all wires to DGMS." (10th March 1917), "7 General Hospital: The Matron wrote, giving details of the illness of Sister Blencowe." (11th March 1917). Mabel died at 7 Casualty Clearing Station, Merville of cerebro-spinal meningitis. The Army Register of Soldiers' Effects shows £54.12s.2s dispersed to Emma Blencowe (mother). The probate register gives Mabel's home address as 51 Baynton Road, Oxford. Her estate of £170 was left to her widowed mother. Her name was on a marble tablet in the chapel of Queen Alexandra’s Military Hospital, Millbank, London which lists the names of the matrons, sisters and nurses of the military nursing services who died during WW1. The Millbank site was redeveloped and the memorial has been traced to the Royal Garrison Church,
Farnborough Road
, Aldershot, Hampshire. CWGC. YMP2. shows as QAIMNS. ODGW