Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Queens Own Royal West Kents

Guest goughy19

Guest goughy19

can anyone tell me where the 7th QORWK were on this date ?

my great grandfather CSM Henry Wlliam Tite was killed and i would like to know where abouts.

Thanks

Dave Gough

Looking at the long long trail 7th Queens Own Royal West Kents were part of 55th Brigade, 18th Eastern Division. Towards the end of 1917 they appear to be involved in the fighting around Ypres, in the 3rd Battle of Ypres (known as Passchendale).

Looking on CWGC your great grandfather is commemorated on the Tyne Cot memorial to the missing, which does place his death in the Ypres Salient, near Langemark and Passchendale I think.

Hope this helps. Someone with more knowledge might give you a more detailed answer.

Regards

Ben

Check out the long long trail above,Goughy.

18th Div were all over the place during 3rd Ypres,serving mainly with 2 corps,but ending up with my Great-grandads lot,the 58th Div,in 18 corps at 2nd Passchendaele in November 1917.

I believe 18 corps were in the area over most of December 1917,and i know my G-G's,Machine Gun Company were around the Ypres area until at least early part of January 1918.

The final battle was the 9/10th of November,but fighting carried on for a couple of days after,and although the war quieted down over the winter,sniping,shelling and the cold,caused many casualties.

If he is on Tyne Cot Memorial,then he has no known grave,and was KIA,in the Ypres area.

All the best and good hunting.

Simon.

Dave.

They were in the vicinity (south) of Houthulst Forest (not the most pleasant place to spend the winter of 1917/18!) and were simply "holding" the line.

Dave

Guest goughy19

Ben, Simon and Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my query.

I have visited Tyne Cot to pay my respects and am trying to find out more. ( as it would appear a few of us are.)

With the info re Houthulst it helps narrow it down.

Once again thanks for taking the trouble to help.

For your info, he was a father of 7, and had only been in France since12-09-17.

He had served previously 1902-1908 with the Royal Marine Light Infantry and enlisted 11-11-14 along with many others to do their duty.

Dave Gough