Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Officer (Attd 9th Notts & Derbs)

bmbab

I am trying to work out where an officer of the RAMC might have served during 1916-7. He had already served in Malta and been evacuated back to the UK which he must have left sometime after the 28th Aug 1916. My next mention is that he was evacuated back to the UK on 26th Aug 1917 and he is described as RAMC (attd 9th Notts & Derbs). My questions are:

1. What did an attd RAMC Officer do? Would he have been part of a Field Ambulance?

2. Would he have been on strength of the 9/N&D and would he be mentioned in their War Diary?

3. Would he have been in the trenches with the battalion, at a aid post, or back at brigade level and realted which war diary would be best to try to find him?

Any help gratefully received

Alan

• Admin

Are we discussing Captain G. G. Marshall?

1. The Medical Officer would look after the men in the field, every fighting unit had a medical officer, a full description of his duties can be found here

2. He was ‘attached’ to the unit, in other words he retained his RAMC identity, rather than the Regimental or Corps  identity of the fellow officers in his unit.  This meant a replacement would be found from within the RAMC when he left the Battalion.

3. That depends what was happening at the time.  Out of the line, which they were most of the time, he would be responsible for sick parades, a glance at the casualty evacuation chain shows the M.O. saw just about every condition a G.P. might, from piles to scabies, fevers and flu.  He was also responsible for hygiene and prevention of disease.   In the trenches he would be at the Regimental Aid Post, close to the front line, see link above.

Captain  Marshall RAMC is shown on a list of officers for July 1917 in the 9th Sherwoods War Diary.  You can download the diary for free, if you register from TNA or accessible on Ancestry if you subscribe.

He may also get a mention in the ADMS Diary for 11 Division 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4554949

9th Sherwoods were in 33 Brigade 11 Division

13 hours ago, kenf48 said:

Are we discussing Captain G. G. Marshall?

1. The Medical Officer would look after the men in the field, every fighting unit had a medical officer, a full description of his duties can be found here

2. He was ‘attached’ to the unit, in other words he retained his RAMC identity, rather than the Regimental or Corps  identity of the fellow officers in his unit.  This meant a replacement would be found from within the RAMC when he left the Battalion.

3. That depends what was happening at the time.  Out of the line, which they were most of the time, he would be responsible for sick parades, a glance at the casualty evacuation chain shows the M.O. saw just about every condition a G.P. might, from piles to scabies, fevers and flu.  He was also responsible for hygiene and prevention of disease.   In the trenches he would be at the Regimental Aid Post, close to the front line, see link above.

Captain  Marshall RAMC is shown on a list of officers for July 1917 in the 9th Sherwoods War Diary.  You can download the diary for free, if you register from TNA or accessible on Ancestry if you subscribe.

He may also get a mention in the ADMS Diary for 11 Division 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4554949

9th Sherwoods were in 33 Brigade 11 Division

Thanks for the really useful information. Sorry I did mean to add his name to my email, but it is not Capt GG Marshall - it was Capt Charles Grimshaw Waddington. In his officers file there are a couple of mentions of him being admitted to hospital around 26th August 1917 and his unit being RAMC attd 9 Notts & Derby

Best

Alan

Dear Kenf,

Many thanks I did not know where to look but the war diaries you pointed to in WO95/1798 do indeed mention him. It seems he was the MO i/c 9 Sherwood Foresters just before Capt Marshall.

Best