Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NF?

Chris_Baker

"Sunday July 11th. Usual shelling, but from both Achi Baba & Asia. Am transferred officially as an attaché of 11 Coy. (N.F.)."

It's not, as far as I know, Northumberland Fusiliers, or Newfoundland, or Now Firing. So what does NF mean in this case?

Given that he was AOC, could this be a reference to 11th Coy AOC being the AOC unit attached to 11th (Northern) Division, in which was serving a battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers (NF) - and they were also nearby at Suvla at the time.

Otherwise... :blink:

Chris,

happened to half register in a set of service papers at the PRO yesterday or today a reference to xx (Service) Coy AOC, (New Force), which I took to be the same as 'New Armies'.

Sad thing is, I hadn't seen that you were looking for NF in the context of AOC so I didn't pay much attention and can't actually cite the reference.

Jock

Non Functionary? or some such meaning not attached etc.

Arm.

I know this is probably stupid but then hey so am I

Guest Simon Walker

This is the first time I've used this sort of forum, so I hope I get this right...

I am I fear the person that started this lot off with a query I sent to Chris Baker; so to save him being bombarded with questions, I thought I'd better set out where the references come from and just what they say.

I'm working through my grandfather's diaries for Aug 5 1914 - Sept 16 1918. He was I think a regular, 6556 L/cpl Richard Harry Walker. He served with the Army Ordnance Corps, attached Headquarters, 88 Brigade 29 Division at Gallipoli, landing on Beach W on April 25 from HMS Newmarket.

There are two references in the diaries to the 'N.F.' –

May 12th. Am given the job of starting Ledgers by Lieut. Kirby, who arrived here on the 10th. Richardson and I have practically kept the record work & the issues going, between us. The N.F men are, of course, untrained though willing, and a decent set of fellows.

Sunday July 11th. Usual shelling, but from both Achi Baba & Asia. Am transferred officially as an attaché of 11 Coy. (N.F.).

(There may be more references, I haven't reached the end of the diaries yet).

One of the suggestions is that NF may be Northern Force, but a later entry suggests that this might not be the case:

Thursday Aug. 19th. …Lieut Grieves, with Sergt. Bruce & Ptes Marsden, New & Evans moved up to Suvla Bay to take up duty as DADOS & staff 29th Division. The Divn has already moved up there.

The implication being that my grandfather was left behind.

The Northumberland Fusiliers is another possibility. I searched the Web & I found a couple of references to them at Galipoli:

On the night of the 5th of August 1915 our H.Q. 34th brigade, 11th division embarked on His Majesty's destroyer 'Bulldog' and, together with the transports carrying the rest of the division, steamed from the island of Imbros towards the coast of Gallipoli.

As we neared the Peninsula, the sergeants were busy issuing rum to the infantry, even going round for a second time to those that wanted it. Our brigadier explained to us that we would get our issue after the landing was made, as it was essential for us to be in full possession of our faculties as the lines of the infantry were dependent on the accuracy of our communications. So we RE Signals went into action dead sober, with no 'Dutch Courage' to help us.

One other instance worth noting was the fact that Colonel Fishbourne of the 8th Northumberland Fusiliers was twice superficially wounded by ricochets from the funnel of the destroyer. A couple of days later he was again wounded and had to be evacuated to a hospital ship.

http://www.hillens.com/gramps.html

Kimbolton is a treasure trove of World War 1 history and it has taken more than one page to do it justice... Firstly. The beautiful stained glass window commemorating brothers (1) Lieutenant Henry Gordon Carter 8th Northumberland Fusiliers "who fell gloriously fighting against overwhelming odds at Suvla Bay on the 19th August 1915. Aged 25 years." Commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Gallipoli, Turkey - and by this window in Kimbolton church.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Huntingdonsh...oltonOther.html

In both cases we're in August, well after the first diary entry.

'Newfoundland Regiment' perhaps? As far as I can establish though, the Newfoundland Regiment weren't even told they were going to Gallipoli until 19 August 1915.

Thanks to everyone for your help so far. I really appreciate your help.

Simon Walker

Simon,

Per Westlake's "British Regiments at Gallipoli" the only Northumberland Fusiliers (8th [service] Battalion) in that campaign did not land until 3.30 am on 7th August at Suvla and their companies were designated by letters (eg: W, X, Y and Z) not numbers (eg: 11th) Regarding the Newfoundlanders, they did not land until September

In view of the ref to "NF" as early as 12th May 15 and the use of the words "untrained though willing" then I would guess that Jock Bruce has probably come up with the best bet ie: "New Force" particularly as he recalls seeing this expression used in relation to the AOC

Best of luck with the puzzle

Michael D.R.

Edited by michaeldr