Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for the most comprehensive History of The Great War that exists.

I would like to know your expert opinions on what is the most comprehensive History of The Great War, that covers all theaters and all actions worldwide over the course of the entire conflict. Your opinions are welcome and appreicated. 

As ever, I stand to be corrected but far as I am aware no worthwhile single volume of the subject exists - nor indeed do I believe that there is a uniform series of such books to cover "all action worldwide over the course of the entire conflict."

Regards 

David   

Edited by David Filsell

I suppose Liddell Hart's 'History of the First World War' can be called comprehensive...........

Edwin

Although first published in 1934 I've always thought "A History of the Great War 1914-1918" by C. R. M. F. Cruttwell (still readily available in various editions) the best single volume.

Purnell's History of the First World War, published in the early 1970s, is just about as comprehensive as it gets.  It's a multi volume collection, and stands on my shelves, and will give me references on just about every single theatre of the war, with all societal, cultural, political, diplomatic and economic attributes , along with exhaustive technical data about weapons, uniforms etc.

The military history is obviously to the fore.  After half a century it still passes muster.

Phil

I guess the Purnel series is about the best suggestion. Crutwell is important but does not I think fully meet Darthkarl's criteria. 

Regards

David

• Admin

David Stevenson’s ‘1914 - 1918 The History of the First World War’, like most English language books Anglocentric but a good single volume account, and easily accessible.

https://www.amazon.com/1914-1918-History-First-World-War/dp/0713992085/sr=8-1/qid=1161969058/ref=sr_1_1/102-6366108-3836121?ie=UTF8&s=books

Can be heavy going at times but it depends why you are asking, or as David says your criteria.

Do you have access to a library? John Keegan’s single volume history is not as comprehensive but IMO easier to read  as an introduction to the conflict.

Any single volume by its nature is superficial, the air and naval war for example together with the Home Fronts can receive scant attention.