Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Dies in the Great War CD

Bernard_Lewis

His family think that John Sullivan was killed 10 (?) July 1916 while serving with the Welsh Regiment. Can anyone with access to the SDGW CD confirm this please?

If so, I'd like to know any details please. His mothers name was Ellen, father Timothy (I think), lived at Aberavon, Glamorgan.

Bernard

Bernard, there are two:-

12680 Pte. John Sullivan - 2nd Bn.

Born Maesteg, Glam.

Enlisted Neath, Glam

Killed in Action 26.12.14, France & Flanders.

9244 Pte. John Sullivan - 2nd Bn.

Born Merthyr

Enlisted Merthyr

Killed in Action 25.10.14 France and Flanders

No place of residence given for either man.

Two soldiers both called Daniel Sullivan serving with the Regiment died on the date you give. One enlisted in Aberavon but was a resident of Cwmavon.

The other (Daniel Edward) was born and enlisted in Swansea with no place of residence given.

Hope this helps -

Tom

Thanks Tom though from what the family have told me I don't think either fits the bill! I think their recollections are muddled but will try and clarify with them.

Bernard

Bernard

It's interesting that you believe the family may be muddled as I couldn't find an Ellen of a mother's age, in Aberavon on the 1901 census. There is , however, a one year old who was born in Neath. Sister maybe ?

Myrtle

Thanks Myrtle. I understand the family moved about a lot in south Wales. New info is that they seem reasonably sure that John Sullivan 'was killed in Mametz Wood' This was captured in July 1916 BUT was recaptured in 1918. I wonder if they are sure it was 1916 rather than 1918? Also they think he might have enlisted under an assumed name (Gawd help us!) - possibly Henry John Sullivan which is not too far out but they really are vague on this...mother Ellen and father Tim.

Maybe if Tom Morgan sees this he could kindly run another search on SDGW based on the new info?

Bernard