Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge

BIFFO

I am just about to start "researching"

W.Edwards 14 R.W.F, 20170

he was so badly injured at Mametz wood,evac to England,4th March 1919 discharged physicaly unfit ,awarded a swb B250008,is it possible to say what his injuries were from the badge,

:poppy:

Not seeing anything giving an injury type. Casualty Daily List of 4/9/1916 so potentially wounded early August. Does their diary indicate high casualties from MG fire or shelling? Think that's the closest you'll get.

TEW

thank you  both,he was a sniper,hit twice,(a not very good one)at 3rd Ypres apparently he was in a tree,fritz spotted him,artillery fired leaving him with shell wound,he was captured,sent to pow camp some where?,he died a few days after.

:poppy:

Edited by BIFFO

Biffo,

Are we talking about 20170 Edwards? He did not die, evidenced by his SWB, discharge date and post war pension.

TEW

Ah I see im confusing peole AGAIN,:w00t:

swb to W.Edwards 14 R.W.F, 20170 as you rightly say Tim,badly wounded at Mametz,

I am also starting to research 

J.Wickens 16435 Royal Berks,a sniper captured d.o.w 28,09-17

I also have a couple more things going at the same time,so things have become a little murdeled :w00t:

thats the thing with every one who researches ww1 soldiers,after wounded wher did they go ads -ccs -hospital,if evac back to uk how,a facisnating subject in itself,I recently had a chap,shot in the face evac to Exeter,just before the big push,sent bacl to wf,im sure not fully fit  after a couple of days killed  in a deep dug out.

On 16/03/2021 at 11:52, TEW said:

Not seeing anything giving an injury type. Casualty Daily List of 4/9/1916 so potentially wounded early August. Does their diary indicate high casualties from MG fire or shelling? Think that's the closest you'll get.

TEW

Where about can I view these lists, my grandfather 23933 Pvt George William Spenceley Yorkshire Regiment, was wounded three times in 1917/18 and was sent home for treatment to three different hospitals. His records are among the 'burnt' records and are somewhat damaged, I have deciphered enough to ascertain he went to Graylingwell Hospital near Eastbourne, Queen Mary's at Whalley and Richmond Red Cross Military Hospital in Yorkshire. It would be nice to firm up the dates as then I can cross ref it with the Batt. War Diaries....Any help would be brilliant....

They can be viewed for free on the NLS website. There are paid subscription sites that can be searched as well.

I can see only one result for him via TheGenealogist, 4/12/1917.

Link to NLS version-

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/194145883

Looks blurry to me and can't enlarge it via phone but can just make him out in right hand column.

Lists were not published during the summer of 1917 so there's no coverage anywhere. Findmypast also has the lists for 1917/18 but not complete.

Did you find his burnt docs on Ancestry or FMP? The latter is showing 2 results for him, one of these could be a Sick & Wounded list.

TEW

47 minutes ago, TEW said:

They can be viewed for free on the NLS website. There are paid subscription sites that can be searched as well.

I can see only one result for him via TheGenealogist, 4/12/1917.

Link to NLS version-

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/194145883

Looks blurry to me and can't enlarge it via phone but can just make him out in right hand column.

Lists were not published during the summer of 1917 so there's no coverage anywhere. Findmypast also has the lists for 1917/18 but not complete.

Did you find his burnt docs on Ancestry or FMP? The latter is showing 2 results for him, one of these could be a Sick & Wounded list.

TEW

Found his burnt docs on FMP, got MIC from the National Archives, have tried adjusting colour and such on the docs and have sussed so far that he was wounded 3 times, which is shown by a photo I have of him having 2 wound stripes, He initially enlisted in the 12th Teesside Pioneer Batt. but was transferred to 5th Batt. I have the various war diaries for the 50th Northumbrian Div and it's ancillary units but can't find any actual confirmation. Will try that NLS website which is marvellous, if I manage to trace his steps from Middlesbrough to Various French destinations and his return I will try to post it here....Thanks for the info....

Can you check FMP again? Do a search using his surname & number within Military, armed forces & conflict. There are two results for British Army Service Records. The first hit has no date of birth. I think this maybe him on a sick/wounded list.

Could be wrong and it's part of the records you've seen but best to double check.

TEW

13 hours ago, TEW said:

Can you check FMP again? Do a search using his surname & number within Military, armed forces & conflict. There are two results for British Army Service Records. The first hit has no date of birth. I think this maybe him on a sick/wounded list.

Could be wrong and it's part of the records you've seen but best to double check.

TEW

Yes have both of those, the second is as you say a sick list. It confirms his posting to Graylingwell on 4/11/17 after suffering gas poisoning.....

Ok, that's that covered then. I looked at his burnt docs on Ancestry last night. I see they had trouble with his number, he was 23933 but the cover sheet has 23955 or 25933.

Only one useful sheet that's washed out as you say.

Couldn't glean much from it other than posted to/from an IBD in Oct 1917. Could that be down to a slightly earlier wound?

TEW

5 hours ago, TEW said:

Ok, that's that covered then. I looked at his burnt docs on Ancestry last night. I see they had trouble with his number, he was 23933 but the cover sheet has 23955 or 25933.

Couldn't glean much from it other than posted to/from an IBD in Oct 1917. Could that be down to a slightly earlier wound?

TEW

I also have the docs and by manipulating the exposure and colours have managed to draw out, he was initially recruited in Marton, a suburb of Middlesbrough where the 12th Batt was being raised. It looks like he was posted to 4th Batt from depot but at that time the Mayor of Middlesbrough had written to Lord Kitchener about poor recruiting figures for 12th Batt as men of Middlesbrough were being posted elsewhere rather than to the 12th. This would explain why he joined the Batt late and went to France with them but by September 1916 he was posted to 5th Batt., this time coincides with the early manpower issues for the BEF which resulted in the conscription act, I believe. My photo of him must have been taken in early 1918 as he has 2 wound stripes and 1 good conduct stripe. I am getting more intrigued as I pull more info from his docs, which is quite enjoyable....

6 hours ago, TEW said:

TEW

There was a second GW Spenceley with the numbers you quoted he initially led me astray until I found him on FMP as born in Great Ayton, a small village to the south of Middlesbrough, he was recruited in Stokesley and I think went to the 4th Batt. but not exactly sure...