Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Condition Difficult to Decipher - "Chronic ?"

Kiwi47

Hi All,

I would be grateful for any suggestions in regards to the condition listed under Disease on the attached i.e. "Chronic ?".

It was sufficient to have the soldier in question discharged prior to overseas service and subsequently resulted in a Silver War Badge.

In contrast his previous medical admission report dated 28/09/1915 described his physical development as "good", he was declared "fit" for the Territorial Force and his vision was (R) 6/6 and (L) 6/6.

(With thanks and acknowledgement to findmypast.co.uk)

Thanks

Angus

GBM_WO363-4_007280582_00616.jpg.9ae52af604df78785d8661341b75c5fc.jpg

Looks like Chronic Synovitis to me -  inflammation of the synovial membrane that cushions joints such as shoulder, hip, elbow and knee. The inflammation leads to pain when the joint is moved.

29 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Looks like Chronic Synovitis to me -  inflammation of the synovial membrane that cushions joints such as shoulder, hip, elbow and knee. The inflammation leads to pain when the joint is moved.

Thanks - You may well be right but the "S" of what might be "Synovitis" is quite different from the two S's on the left of the document i.e. "Scot" and "Stobhill"

The t in Synovitis with the flying crossbar is also different from the t in Scot. I think there is one person filling in the administrative details and another the medical diagnosis.

That would make sense but does it not seem strange that the patient was healthy in late September and suffering with chronic synovitis by mid-December?

12 hours ago, Kiwi47 said:

That would make sense but does it not seem strange that the patient was healthy in late September and suffering with chronic synovitis by mid-December?

Hi Kiwi47. Some pension cards such as this Form No. S.B 36, list disabilities as I have attached. Fold3, a subscription service which has a free 7 day trial, hold these records. Alternatively, if you let us know the soldiers name then there is possibility one of these card will be in existence and give a clue as to why the soldier was discharged. I lose Fold3 tonight but sure another member will be able to assist if you are unable to get back to us today. kind regards Gunner 87.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 17.56.45.png

As Seajane says, it's Chronic Synovitis.

Seajane is Always right.

I know the writer has chosen a capital T to begin the second word, but that's the way it is.

End of.

2 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Hi Kiwi47. Some pension cards such as this Form No. S.B 36, list disabilities as I have attached. Fold3, a subscription service which has a free 7 day trial, hold these records. Alternatively, if you let us know the soldiers name then there is possibility one of these card will be in existence and give a clue as to why the soldier was discharged. I lose Fold3 tonight but sure another member will be able to assist if you are unable to get back to us today. kind regards Gunner 87.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 17.56.45.png

Many thanks Gunner 87 - I have a subscription to Fold 3 so I will follow up on your suggestion.

Also many thanks to seaJane - I don't think I would have got to "Chronic Synovitis" myself.

Regards

Angus

5 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Seajane is Always right.

Don't believe a word of it - I'm a librarian (in a medical library, admittedly) not a medic. :)

4 hours ago, Kiwi47 said:

many thanks to seaJane

My pleasure!

Just posing an alternative...... Chronic Sinusitis Inflammation of the nasal passages caused by exposure to noxious substances .. Gas perhaps

I would expect a medical record to be a little more specific, ie chronic synovitis of left Hip. knee elbow etc

where as sinusitis would not need any further explanation

'Sinusitis' has no letters that go under the line.

The second letter has to be  y, q, p, g or a j.

It's a 'y'.

unless you miss spell synusitis 

yes I agree..... Chronic synovitis would be followed by a descriptor, or preceded by "Global" widespread or the figures ++

According to the Epsom Advertiser, in April and May 1915 the following were admitted to the Epsom and Ewell War Hospital (Grandstand) suffering from synovitis in the knee.

Admitted during April 1915:

Saddler Charles Burton, aged 30, R.G.A., chronic synovitis in the knee
Pte. John Burns, aged 35, Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, synovitis in the right knee

Shoeing-smith C. Waite, aged 28, R.F.A., synovitis right knee

Admitted during May 1915:

Lance Cpl. McCallum, aged 22, 4th Camerons, synovitis right knee

Pte. V. Hollister, aged 18, 3rd Gloucesters, synovitis right knee

Bombardier A. Neath, aged 32, R.G.A., synovitis right knee,
Saddler H. Brrchcroft, aged 21, R.F.A., synovitis right knee

https://eehe.org.uk/?p=29814

JP

• Admin
On 16/03/2021 at 05:04, Kiwi47 said:

Not really, it could be caused by three months of marching, poor, ill fitting equipment etc.

As the list above shows synovitis of the knee was very common in the artillery, caused by the repetitive movement of steering the team.

Medical examination on enlistment were at best cursory especially in the early days with the scramble for recruits and in the TF probably more so.

On 17/03/2021 at 18:16, adrian 1008 said:

Gas perhaps

Not really (2) If he did not serve overseas. Gas training was usually done at the IBD in France.

Thanks all.

Obviously a more common condition than I was aware of.

Regards

Angus