Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tyra Hill GODDARD - U.S. Red Cross nurse.

Jim Strawbridge

This photograph was recently posted on Facebook. From the footing I have assumed that she was born in 1890, died in 1918 and was a married woman. The accompanying comment noted that she had died from influenza. I have exhausted my normal searches trying to find her without success. I have found a male Tyra Hill Goddard (born 21st October 1879 and died November 1943) but this lady has eluded me. As is the American way, the Hill part of her name may have been her maiden name. If anyone is getting lockdown crazy and wants to do a bit of sleuthing please see if you can unravel who she was.

GoddardTH.jpg

• Admin

Been through the World records on FMP for a marriage betweena "Gertrude" and a "Goddard" and am afraid I have come up empty.

• Admin

Sadly, this hasn't progressed me too much as I still cannot find a marriage record in the FMP World series so am struggling to identify the lady in question.

• Admin

So back to the newspapers and found a record of a marriage licence being granted. BUT note the "Mrs" So this may be a scarlet fish...

Published in the Benson Scott County Democrat 5th June 1913 (image courtesy of FMP)

image.png

The 1910 US Census shows a Gertrude Hadden married to Albert J. Hadden. She was born in Arkansas. This may not be the correct Gertrude Hadden, since she may not have been in the US in 1910. The tree mentioned in the previous post shows an american marriage record, but it is not clear if it is for Tyra's 1st or 2nd marriage. It would need someone with Ancestry World to check it.

Regards,

Alf McM

1.  According to her death certificate, she is Gertrude Lynch born 26 November 1888 in Memphis, Tennessee, to James Lynch and his wife Martha:

MDC.jpg.666b01eb1a4e72284ddf541d1d73d79b.jpg

https://www.sos.mo.gov/images/archives/deathcerts/1918/1918_00044447.PDF

From here:

https://s1.sos.mo.gov/Records/Archives/ArchivesMvc/DeathCertificates/SearchResults

2.  The St Louis Star and Times of 17 March 1912:

MARRIAGE LICENSES

Tyra H Goddard, 3134 Lucas:Gertrude Lynch 

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/204537244/

JP

Edited by helpjpl

My thanks to all of you for your input. This is what I have so far.

Goddard

Gertrude L.

Unit/Force: Red Cross nurse                                                                   

Place/Date of Birth: U.S.A., Tennessee; Memphis/26/11/1888                             

Place/Date of Death: U.S.A., Missouri; St. Louis/1/11/1918

Place of Burial/Memorial: U.S.A., Missouri; St. Louis; Bellefontaine Cemetery; block 30; lot 4604

Remarks: Gertrude was born in Memphis, Tennesee on the 26th November 1888 to James I. Lynch (b. Atlanta, Georgia) and Martha A. Lynch (nee Parnell, known as Mattie, b. Augusta, Georgia). Gertrude appears to have been illigitimate as James Lynch married Mattie Parnell in a civil marriage on the 21st July 1891 in Shelby, Tennessee. The 1900 US census finds the family living in Huying Avenue, Shelby, Tennessee. The Head is Mattie A. Lynch (b. March 1860 in Georgia) who said that she had been married for 12 years and had one child. This was Gertrude Lynch (b. November 1888 in Tennessee). Mattie's husband was away on the census night. Between 1900 and 1913 Gertrude seems to have changed her name to Hadden through marriage but as yet we have been unable to evidence this. Mrs Gertrude Hadden of Illmo, Scott County, Missouri married T.H. Goddard of Craig, Perry County, Illinois on the 1st June 1913 in Illmo. The Benson Scott County Democrat newspaper for the 5th June 1913 shows, under marriage licenses :- "T.H. Goddard, Craig, Perry County, Ill., and Mrs Gertrude Hadden, Illmo". They were married on the 1st June 1913 in Illmo, Scott County, Missouri. Tyra Hill Goddard (b. 21st October 1879 in St. Louis, Missouri, drafted WW1 and WW2, 2m. Esther E. Eisenhardt on the 14th August 1922 in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, d. November 1943 in Clayton, St. Louis, Missouri). The St. Louis Post Dispatch newspaper for the 2nd November 1918 records :- "MRS. TYRA HILL GODDARD DIES Contracted Influenza When Serving as Volunteer Nurse. Mrs Tyra Hill Goddard of 5769 Kingsbury Boulevard, died yesterday of influenza, which she contracted a week ago when serving as a volunteer nurse at the Marine Hospital. She was one of the first to respond to the appeal when the epidemic began. She took a course at Barnes Hospital a year ago to become a nurse's aid. Later she was in canteen work at the Y.M.C.A. hut and was there when the epidemic began. To her husband, who protested against her exposing herself, she said she would feel like a slacker to not answer the appeal". At the time of her death Martha was living with her husband at 5769 Kingsbury, St. Louis. She died at home at 7.50am of influenza having been ill since the 25th October 1918.

• Admin

The confusing thing about the Gertrude Hadden "married" to Albert J Hadden in the 1910 Census is that her birthplace is listed as Arkansas not Tennessee and her occupation is listed as "none" whilst Mrs Tyra H Goddard was a "retired nurse" before rejoining the Red Cross. Also they were living in Cataloochee, Haywood, North Carolina at the time.

I cannot find a divorce record nor a death record for Albert J Hadden in the relevant time period either in the records or the US papers.

1 hour ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Between 1900 and 1913 Gertrude seems to have changed her name to Hadden through marriage but as yet we have been unable to evidence this. 

The subject of this thread, Gertrude Lynch, did not change her name to, use the name Hadden, and did not marry Albert J Hadden.  

Gertrude Lynch and Tyra Hill Goddard took out a marriage license in 1912 as reported in The St Louis Star and Times of 17 March 1912 (see my previous post). At the time Tyra Hill Goddard was living in the family home 3134 Lucas, one of the finest in St Louis, Missouri. 

There is zero evidence that the T H Goddard who took out a marriage license in 1913 to wed a Mrs Gertrude Hadden is Tyra Hill Goddard.

JP

Edited by helpjpl

• 2 months later...

My great grandfather was Edward A. Goddard from Georgia.  His older brother was George Henry Goddard, who was married to Virginia Hill.   He was born in CT, grew up in Georgia and then moved to Camden AK.  He made his fortune in St. Louis.   Tyra Hill Goddard was George's son and was married to Gertrude. They are all buried in St. Louis.   

191768787_tyrahillgoddard.png.9ad699eb13a993c94724c114dae543cb.png