Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book review: German Strategy & the Path to Verdun

Paul Hederer

Book review: German Strategy and the Path to Verdun, Erich von Falkenhayn and the Development of Attrition, 1870–1916. Robert T. Foley, ISBN 0521841933, Cambridge Military Histories, 2005, 301pp.

Robert T. Foley’s new book, “German Strategy….” is an examination of German military ideas from the end of the Franco-German War to the First World War. It culminates in an in-depth investigation of Falkenhayn’s strategy for 1916, including the role of the Verdun battle in his overall plan.

The book is extremely well researched, and a look at the book’s bibliography shows the hard work, and amount of research the author put into his study. Sources include many unpublished documents from various archives in multiple countries.

On the salient point of Verdun, and Falkenhayn’s true intentions, the author weaves a larger picture of German strategy for 1916, with the Verdun battle being but a piece of an overall larger plan. Foley himself admits that reconstructing Falkenhayn’s true plan is difficult, due to the amount of secrecy and disinformation involved—that being said he does an admirable job.

Most interestingly Foley does not include Falkenhayn’s famous “Christmas Memorandum,” of 1915 as one of the pieces in reconstructing the Verdun puzzle. He states that because the authenticity of the Memorandum has never been established, and in fact, has been disputed, he does not include it. Instead, he relies on first hand accounts of conversations with Falkenhayn, and plans requested from, and submitted by, various German armies along the Western front.

He builds a picture of Falkenhayn’s strategy for 1916 which is compelling. Verdun was to be the means to draw the French reserves into battle, inflict casualties on them, and weaken other areas of the French front by drawing troops to the Verdun battle. The Verdun battle was also to provoke a premature Allied counter-attack, which would be bled white by German forces on the defensive. Once these aims had been achieved Falkenhayn would use his own reserve forces to launch attacks at other points along the front. Foley also gives a detailed description of the execution of the Verdun battle and how it went wrong.

His book ends by explaining how the failure of Falkenhayn’s strategy led the German military to abandon its attempt at a strategy of attrition, and return to the strategy of annihilation.

Foley’s book it well written, with copious notes on sources, and well balanced. He even includes footnotes such as, “For a differing view see…”

By presenting a comprehensive view of Falkenhayn’s strategy for 1916, with Verdun as only one aspect of that strategy, the author goes a long way towards removing the shroud of mystery that has surrounded Falkenhayn and objectives for Verdun.

Paul Hederer

Thanks Paul for this very good review.

Could you give a quick explanation of the controversy around the Christmas Memorandum for those of us who might not be familiar with it? Thanks, Andy

Andy,

German historians, including the authors of the German official history, have shed doubt on the authenticity of Falkenhayn's "Weihnachtsdenkschrift 1915," or Christmas Memorandum of 1915. This included the famous and chilling plan to "bleed the French army white."

The document was never found in the archives, and none of Falkenhayn's compatriots could remember having seen it.

There is speculation that he possibly showed it to the Kaiser only, or wrote it later, in an attempt to cover his true (and failed) objectives at Verdun.

Paul

Paul - forgive my ignorance on this topic.

You have described how Verdun led the German army back to the 'strategy of annihilation' ....

Can you expand. Not too heavy though!

Des

Des,

Oh my, I was afraid someone would ask that. That subject takes whole chapters in the book!

In German military thought there were two strategies, supposedly put forward by Clausewitz, but this is debated.

""Niederwerfungsstrategie, or "Vernichtungsstrategie," was a strategy of annihilation and was the basis for the Short War. Battle was only engaged when the right conditions existed to deliver a knockout blow to the enemy. Thus, battle was a means unto itself and did not necessarily incorporate the aspects of politics and economics into an integrated strategy."

""Ermattungsstrategie" was a strategy of exhaustion or attrition. The battle was no longer the sole aim of strategy; it is merely one of the several equally effective means of attaining the political ends of the war and is essentially no more important than the occupation of territory, the destruction of crops or commerce, and the blockade."

Falkenhayn tried Ermattungsstrategie in 1916 and failed. H-L shifted back to Vernichtungsstrategie.

It's an interesting subject if you don't choke on those 19 letter words!

Paul

Paul,

Trust me, I choked a bit on the price also. I saw it in Cambridge for 45 pounds (90$!) and just about had a heart-attack. Then I was directed to Amazon and thought, "Oh well, it's ONLY 70$."

Seems to be a trend. I've noticed the last three books I've been interested in were approaching $100! OUTRAGEOUS!

Guess the weak dollar may be the culprit with these books.

Interlibrary loan baby!

Paul

Paul - I am SOOO glad I kept my big mouth shut and simply asked the question!

Thanks for that ... I was coming up with all sorts of scenarios to explain it.

Des

Tag,

Yes, I saw that too. Amazon gave free shipping with the book, so I think it came out about the same. Amazon is always fast and reliable. 3 days for a book over the Atlantic is not bad.

Paul

One of my British friends, Neil Wells, who is quite knowledgeable about Verdun is rather impressed by this book. I am really pissed about the price, you know I can afford $70 but I aint paying it.

Thanks for the review - a book I've been very interested in seeing. But at £45. Time for ILL! All the OUP/CUP books because of their academic nature are pretty pricey - but at least they're quality publications.

Yes, it's shame it's so expensive. It bears reading. Hopefully the price won't put off libraries from purchasing it.

Paul

Paul, you've made it sound like a good book, top reviewing there. But at £45 I think I'll wait until my local library gets it in- actually I may try to persuade them to get it.

On a related subject, has anyone read this?

THE CREATION OF THE MODERN GERMAN ARMY

General Walther Reinhardt and the Weimar Republic, 1914-1930

William Mulligan

"... the work goes sufficiently beyond conventional parameters to encourage fresh discussion…solid use of unpublished material, combined with mastery of the secondary literature." · Dennis Showalter

Civil-military relations have been a consistent theme of the history of the Weimar Republic. This study focuses on the career of General Walther Reinhardt, the last Prussian Minister of War and the First Head of the Army Command in the Weimar Republic. Though less well known than his great rival, Hans von Seeckt, Reinhardt's role in forming the young Reichswehr and his writings on warfare made him one of the most important and influential military figures in interwar Germany. Contrary to the conventional view that civil-military relations were fraught from the outset, the author argues, Reinhardt's contribution to the military politics of the Weimar Republic shows that opportunities for reform and co-operation with civilian leaders existed. However, although he is primarily seen as a liberal General, this study demonstrates that he was motivated by professional military considerations and by the specter of a future war. His ideas on modern warfare were amongst the most radical of the time.

William Mulligan received his Ph. D. from the University of Cambridge. He is now teaching modern history at the University of Glasgow.

256 pages, bibliog, index

Buy now and get 15% off listed price

ISBN 1-57181-908-8 hardback $70.00/£43.00

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've just emptied my bank account to the tune of £45 to buy Foley's book.

An excellent purchase - for serious students of the German Army this is a must. Many previously unknown/untranslated documents, diaries, etc. Despite the title, there's an excellent account of the thoughts behind the fighting in the East in 1915, while Verdun itself - both before the battle and the course of the battle - are given a fresh lease of life.

Read alongside Annika Mombauer's book on Moltke and you'll have a much clearer insight into the workings of the German Army in the first two years of the war.

Halder,

Couldn't agree more with your comments. I went back and reviewed the first chapters again, and this book is a must for serious students of the German military, or anyone trying to gain a better understanding.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Just FYI this book is now available as low as $59 at Amazon.

Paul

Christina,

I look forward to your comments on the book in light of your knowledge of the Verdun battle.

Paul