Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hastily written letters from No 6 Gen Hosp in Rouen

Bardess

The most marvellous letters have dropped into my lap from K A Allsop, Asst Matron and I must share. Her compassion shines through and perhaps her weariness too. Have a read and see what you think

Ltr from No 6 Gen H 1.jpeg

Ltr from No 6 Gen H 2.jpg

Ltr from No 6 Gen H 3.jpg

Thank you for posting this-although such letters must have been (alas) a commonplace, they never cease to move me as a reader. Presumably the man was:

image.png.06f6e4abcc21b51a6fe689cccbb9490d.png

He left a wife and child.

Thanks for sharing these rather moving letters - it's easy to lose sight of the real human cost, sometimes, isn't it - but they're quite an antidote. I hope they eased a little of the pain.

Interestingly, there is a current thread on the Forum about a man who died of wounds, Walter Woof: a letter from a nurse is mentioned in newspaper reports of his death. When you think how busy nursing staff must have been, such compassion is genuinely impressive.

Hi

Indeed, a caring and compassionate woman. Can I suggest a name of Katharine Amelia Allsop, Sister. Number 6 General was based, I think, at Rouen throughout the war. MIC courtesy of NA:-

image.png.39172d0de9959a199955dc71a3dc64d2.png

Born 3rd Dec 1873, Houghton Hants. Died 17th May 1960. Trained St Thomas's 1900-03. Still on the Nursing Register in  1946. 

Also awarded the Royal Red Cross 'for exceptional services in military nursing'

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31370/page/6840/data.pdf

Hope this is not entirely wrong, but even if it is, its a record of a compassionate soul.

Kind Regards

Derek

Edited by Swinesheadvillage