Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Up to Mametz .. and Beyond

The Scorer

Does anyone know what's causing the long delay in the publication of the new version of this, please?

The original publication date was (in April 2020) shown as being 30th April 2020, and I made a pre-order request for it then. However, it's been put back to 30th October 2020, to 28th February 2021; it's now shown as being and 31st March 2021. I've tried to ask Pen & Sword for information, but they've proved to be quite elusive, and reluctant to reply to my enquiries. My last attempt was on 1st March, to which I haven't received either and acknowledgment or a reply, and only discovered the latest date by looking at their web site yesterday. 

I know that I'll just have to wait, but it's frustrating not to receive a reply to a simple question, so any information would be appreciated - thank you.   

I ordered mine almost exactly three years ago, and the only explanation I have seen is ”in production”.

I got refunded a year later in 2019, which now seems a good choice. I don’t expect it to appear, which is a pity. Some new information on ORs should be included, if it ever appears.

ATB,

Lars

3 hours ago, LarsA said:

I ordered mine almost exactly three years ago, and the only explanation I have seen is ”in production”.

I got refunded a year later in 2019, which now seems a good choice. I don’t expect it to appear, which is a pity. Some new information on ORs should be included, if it ever appears.

ATB,

Lars

Thanks .... I think!

I hope that it doesn't come to that, as although I've got an older version of the original and have read the extra part, I would like to get a version with both parts in it. Fingers crossed that it'll arrive at the end of the month or soon after.  

No hope of that I am afraid.

But here ate my updates on ORs, for free.

ATB,

Lars

• Sergeant Smith 
  • Sergeant Smith helps Griffith on a cookery class he is ordered to hold. Unfortunately the numbers of “Serjeant Smith’s” in the RWF are too numerous to find likely candidates.

•  “Parkinson” (Chapter ‘Command’, page 81)
  •  “…Blast ‘em they’ve killed old Parkinson – blown ‘is ‘ead off, they ‘ave, the *******s”.
  •  Pte 22193 Sidney Arthur Parkington, KIA on 11/1/1916. Enlisted in Holborn. Entry in De Ruvignys Roll of Honour, with a quote from the letter written by Wyn Griffith. His medals and plaque are in my care.:

•  “Sergeant Tracey” (Chapter ‘Command’, page 87)
  •  “Look what they (the rats) did to Sergeant Tracy. Now ‘e was farst asleep in a dug-out, he was, and when he woke up, blowed if a rat ‘and’t bitten of ‘alf ‘is blinkin’ ear.
  •  There is a MIC for Serjeant Walter A Tracey, no 22198 and an entry date that seems to indicate an original member of the battalion.

•  “Green” Green is Griffiths batman, but the number of RWF Greens are, just like Smith’s too numerous to pinpoint likely candidatess

•  “Sergeant-Major Ford” (Chapter ‘Mud’, p 157-158)
  •  Ford is Griffiths CSM; “in private life he is a London School Teacher, tall and thin, with a firm mouth and a determined eye. The war seems to hold no surprises to him…”
  •  CSM 25149 Henry Charles Ford is awarded the MC in the new years honours for 1917 and later commissioned. He earns a bar to the MC, noted in the LG 13/9/18: For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During a night attack on the enemy's position this officer led his company through heavy machine-gun fire, reaching
  •  his first objective and consolidating it, as well as capturing two machine-guns. He and ten others reached the second objective, but, owing to heavy losses, were forced to fall back.

•  On his MIC it appears he was a captain, commanding a company in the 13th RWF in 1917/18, and his residence is in the London suburb of Sydenham. Entry date the same as the rest of the battalion.

•  “Pte Delivett” (Chapter ‘Alarms & Diversions’, p177-180”
  •  Pte Delivett is made “sanitary man” on his own request after showing coolness under fire. He is described in the book as 34, perhaps older, and had run a coconut shy on Hampstead heath before.
  •  There is a MIC and service record for Pte 22745 George Delivett, a former hawker born in 1880 in London. Went out with the battalion in December 15, and was “Duty Corporal”. When the 15th was disbanded he was transferred to the 14th RWF, being wounded (GSW leg) in september 1918. He survived the war, being demobilized in 1919.

•  “Private Walton” (Chapter ‘Alarms & Diversions’, p 187)Private Walton perfoms a mouth organ in the same concert as Signaller Downs below.
  •  There is a Private Samuel Walton on CWGC. His number is 22476, which could fit with a 15th battalion man. He is however described as a member of the 13th battalion, KIA 10/7/16 and buried in flatiron copse cemetery.
  •  “Signaller Downs” (Chapter ‘Alarms & diversions’, p 187)
  •  “The next performer was signaller Downs, who roused the community to a long-drawn-out sequence of ‘Nev-vah mind” in Gertie Gitana’s undying song.”
  •  There is a Pte Israel Downs, 22507, who was awarded the MM in the LG 2/6/1916, shortly after his death of wounds on 13 may 1916 age 22. The names concide, but I am not sure whether the concert performance described fits in time. He is buried in the Merville Communal Cemetery. He was the son of Son of Richard and Rebecca Downs, of 2, Parliament St., Bilston, Staffs. 

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, LarsA said:

Actually more than three years delay! But the word through the RWF network from Gen Riley indicates this fall.

ATB,

Lars

Thank you, that's good news.

Do you happen to know what the delay has been caused by, please? As I've said previously, Pen & Sword have been very reluctant to reply to my enquiries and, even when they have, haven't given any reason for the delay. 

Which book is this, please? I thought "Up to Mametz and Beyond" was an update of Llewellyn Wyn Griffith's original book? Why is General Riley involved? I assume he's the chap who wrote "Ghosts of old..." something or other, the name escapes me 😂

Bernard

Is this different to the book of the same name published in 2010? It was remaindered some years ago - I think I paid £2 for a copy. Still available from online sellers.

12 hours ago, Bernard_Lewis said:

Which book is this, please? I thought "Up to Mametz and Beyond" was an update of Llewellyn Wyn Griffith's original book? Why is General Riley involved? I assume he's the chap who wrote "Ghosts of old..." something or other, the name escapes me 😂

Bernard

12 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Is this different to the book of the same name published in 2010? It was remaindered some years ago - I think I paid £2 for a copy. Still available from online sellers.

It's a new edition, with an introduction by General Riley. I don't know how different it is to the 2010 edition - probably not very much with the exception of General Riley's contribution. If push comes to shove, I'll look for a copy of the 2010 edition, but I'd prefer to have this one .... if it ever sees the light of day!! 

15 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

It's a new edition, with an introduction by General Riley. I don't know how different it is to the 2010 edition - probably not very much with the exception of General Riley's contribution. If push comes to shove, I'll look for a copy of the 2010 edition, but I'd prefer to have this one .... if it ever sees the light of day!! 

There was a book i was keen to buy from P&S which i think took about 2 years to finally be published , they kept putting the date back just as it was about to come out , it is very frustrating . I wonder if the prices of the hardback will drop once the paperback eventually comes out ( £35-£65 ) .

7 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

There was a book i was keen to buy from P&S which i think took about 2 years to finally be published , they kept putting the date back just as it was about to come out , it is very frustrating . I wonder if the prices of the hardback will drop once the paperback eventually comes out ( £35-£65 ) .

It's strange, because I've bought quite a few books from them in the past, and never had this kind of experience. Most of them were books that had already been published, so that's to be expected, but I've pre-ordered books before and they've been delivered on time ... but not this one! The worst thing is that they don't / won't reply to my messages asking what the position is; I've given up trying to contact them now!

54 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

Thanks, Scorer. Of course, if you don’t want to wait, you can buy this somewhat tatty original for a mere £500 on ABE!

326E9EB7-3ADA-4298-8DC2-906F32C6334A.jpeg.97834e7cc79e9baa2b59902817c6af74.jpeg

I think P&S might have found that one of their traditional markets - the GW - is not quite as viable as in the past. I had some info from a third party recently which didn't include the GW as one of their main areas of interest.

I offered them a WW2 story (Welsh Guardsman MC, CdeG, 1935-1948) including Holland, France (captured), escaped, SOE in the Ardennes 1944, NW Europe 1944/45, SAARF, Palestine, Germany and Austria post war then MI6 Baghdad and they declined it. Happily, it found an alternative home. 

In the past, I'd have thought that sort of story was right up their street but, looking at some of the P&S current output, things have changed.

So to republish a book which apparently saw some remaindering in 2010 doesn't sound like a sure-fire winner to me. I have the 2010 edition and wouldn't buy the new one, if it ever appears. My resources are not infinite! 😂

I suppose a Kindle edition (only) might be more economically viable? 

Bernard

3 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Thanks, Scorer. Of course, if you don’t want to wait, you can buy this somewhat tatty original for a mere £500 on ABE!

326E9EB7-3ADA-4298-8DC2-906F32C6334A.jpeg.97834e7cc79e9baa2b59902817c6af74.jpeg

Oh ... that's tempting .... not - but thanks!

3 hours ago, Bernard_Lewis said:

I think P&S might have found that one of their traditional markets - the GW - is not quite as viable as in the past. I had some info from a third party recently which didn't include the GW as one of their main areas of interest.

I offered them a WW2 story (Welsh Guardsman MC, CdeG, 1935-1948) including Holland, France (captured), escaped, SOE in the Ardennes 1944, NW Europe 1944/45, SAARF, Palestine, Germany and Austria post war then MI6 Baghdad and they declined it. Happily, it found an alternative home. 

In the past, I'd have thought that sort of story was right up their street but, looking at some of the P&S current output, things have changed.

So to republish a book which apparently saw some remaindering in 2010 doesn't sound like a sure-fire winner to me. I have the 2010 edition and wouldn't buy the new one, if it ever appears. My resources are not infinite! 😂

I suppose a Kindle edition (only) might be more economically viable? 

Bernard

You may be right, because they've moved in to transport and other areas of history quite a lot recently. 

The attraction of this one is the " ... and Beyond" part. I've got a fairly old copy of the original, which I've read, and I've read the "sequel" (if you can call it that?), but I'd like a copy f them both together. When I saw this, with the additional contribution by General Riley, I thought that it was worth buying (it's actually not that expensive - around £20, I think), but it's quite frustrating waiting for a much delayed book with no information being given about it. 

My favourite piece in the original is the story about "Old Evans, the Padre", and I was fortunate to meet one of his relatives during a tour of the Somme in 1916 for the centenary. I remember that someone created a short film of that episode quite a few years ago with a choir, but I can't remember who or where it can be found now - does anyone know, please? 

19 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

My favourite piece in the original is the story about "Old Evans, the Padre", and I was fortunate to meet one of his relatives during a tour of the Somme in 1916 for the centenary. I remember that someone created a short film of that episode quite a few years ago with a choir, but I can't remember who or where it can be found now - does anyone know, please? 

I've found it .. and it's still as emotional and effective as it was when I first heard it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gen Riley has done research for example on the officers mentioned in ”Up to Mametz”, hence ”- And beyond”. In the coming second edition more is added by Gen Riley, some of it provided by persons interested in the RWF and the 15th bn. I have a medal group to a pte KIA 11/1/16, mentioned in the book by Griffiths. Hopefully the information I could find on him and other ORs are mentioned. Others will have provided info on other aspects. 

ATB,

Lars

The "And Beyond" is actually a "sequel" written by Llewellyn Wyn Griffith some time after the original. It was, I think (although I may be wrong), a separate publication, but the two are normally published as one book (as per my old version mentioned above). 

The appeal for me is General Riley's research, as I often read books and wonder "what happened next", either to the characters or the regiment concerned. 

I just wish Pen & Sword would get their act together and publish the darned thing! There's some good news on their website this morning, though .... the publication date is now 30th September 2021, so that's been brought forward by a month since August!

Fingers crossed!

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, LarsA said:

It is now listed as published today 6th october, and I have got my invoice.

ATB,

Lars

Yes, I've got mine, as well ... which shows that I've already paid, so I'm waiting for the delivery of the book!

And the good news is ..... it's arrived!!

It's only taken around nineteen months, but at least I now have it, and it's at the top of my "To Read" list. I have, however, just re-read the story of "Old Evans the Padre" (Revd Peter Jones-Roberts) which, for my money, is one of the most striking stories I have ever read. 

My thanks to LarsA for his help in keeping me up to date with progress ... it's a pity that Pen & Sword couldn't be bothered to do this.