Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvt robert Sterry Kia 11/04/1917

sterry

Hello I dnt know if you have subscriptions to ancestry but there are some details on there about his medals, soldiers effects, possibly pension awarded.  

On CWGC

Casualty Details | CWGC

Son of Mrs. Mary Ann Sterry, of Front St., Botesdale, Diss.

54 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Front St., Botesdale, Diss

The Diss Express for the Great War era is available via the British Newspaper Archive, which means it should also turn up on the subscription levels on the likes of Ancestry and FindMyPast that include newspapers. Local newspapers are always your most likely shot at finding a picture.

If you live in the UK then you will usually find that your local public library service will offer access to either Ancestry or FindMyPast, and sometimes both. Normally you have to go into the library to access them, but with the covid restrictions many have gone over to offering remote access. Norfolk County Library service certainly does for FindMyPast, and their Library subscription includes access to Newspapers & Magazines.

Downside is it's a shared access with a limit on the number of records that can be viewed per month, so certainly in Norfolk I'm normally locked out by the last week of the month.

Still, worth checking your local country library website to see what is on offer - if you are not currently a member, many currently also allow you to join online.

Good luck with your search,

Peter

Soldiers effects shows payments made to mother and sister and what looks like Lady Augusta Playfair?  Unsure if that is correct anyone else reading that?

It certainly looks like it. I'm also reading that the payments made to his mother were at James and Walter's request, and that the payment to Lady Augusta Playfair was made at A.M Hawes'(?) request. Sounds like we know who Walter and James are, any ideas as to who A.M. Hawes(?) might be?

Edited to add that according to this link Lady Augusta Playfair was married to Brigadier General George Playfair, 2nd Baron Playfair, and the mother of Captain The Honourable Lyon Playfair who was killed in action in the Second Battle of Ypres in April 1915. The Suffolk connection is that Lady Playfair and her husband were residing at Redgrave Hall in Redgrave, Suffolk at the time of their son's death.

https://www.unofficialroyalty.com/april-1915-royalty-and-world-war-i/

Image sourced from Ancestry

42511_6117462_0093-00158.jpg

Edited by Tawhiri

I wonder if the mother was ill or unable to claim monies herself and others did it for her.  I assume they were not able to claim monies for their own use.  

• Admin

His medal index card is free to view on Ancestry. That will give you the information re his medals and when he entered a theatre of war.

Michelle 

41 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

His medal index card is free to view on Ancestry. That will give you the information re his medals and when he entered a theatre of war.

Michelle 

On Ancestry Ancestry.co.uk - UK, British Army World War I Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

or

National Archives Search results: Robert Sterry | The National Archives

Edited by jonbem

• 2 months later...

Hello I’m Luke pvt robert Sterry’s 8 th cousin he was with royal bedfordshire regiment killed in action on 11/04/1917 at age 30 do you by chance have a picture of him in uniform?

• Admin

Duplicate threads merged 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2021 at 03:28, sterry said:

Hello I’m Luke pvt robert Sterry’s 8 th cousin he was with royal bedfordshire regiment killed in action on 11/04/1917 at age 30 do you by chance have a picture of him in uniform?

Not Royal

• 5 weeks later...

Western Front Association / Fold3 have a number of pension claim record cards

Pte Robert STERRY, 18591, 2nd Bn, Bedfordshire Regt., KiA 11.4.17 His mother, Mrs Mary Ann STERRY, Botesdale, Diss, Sugffolk seems to have made a dependant's claim for him

[and seemingly for another son 4699, Walter STERRY - her claim for the latter seems likely to not have been successful under the circumstances of his survival as a PoW].

:-) M

• 4 months later...

Hello I found a record in my family tree of serjent Arthur William Sterry Norfolk regiment killed in action ww1 France September 4th 1916 do you have a picture of him? Thanks

• 10 months later...
  • Admin

@sterry i visited Roberts grave today and took a photo. Would you like a copy? 

• Admin

AAC00757-9AE6-4816-9BB8-93922B209A11.jpeg

• Admin

The wifi isn’t great where I’m staying, will mail you a copy when I’m home. 

• 2 weeks later...