Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

York Military Hospital

Mike MacKay

Hello again!

I see that I have made 'Lance Jack' - Promotion comes quick in this army!

In his diaries, my grandfather mentions that he was evacuated to No 2 ward, York Military Hospital. I have spent quite a few minutes browsing through the list of war time hospitals based in England that are shown in this great website, but could not tie any of them specifically to York.

Maybe I was trying too hard or just ignorant of all the locations and their place names - can anyone assist with this query please?

Thanks!

Mike

Here's one - Haxby Military Hospital. Perhaps someone from the area can add more about the buildings it was housed in - Rowntrees - anything to do with chocolate factories?

Regards

Sue

Sue and Terry - many thanks you for your responses and the picture of the hospital, Sue - its a very imposing building for a chocolate factory!

Would this be the only military hospital in York during WWI?

Mike

Sorry about the brief details, but I managed to burn several fingers yesterday, and just couldn't be bothered last night! There was a Military Hospital in York long before the war which served the regular army - I'm not sure when it was built, but probably in the second half of the nineteenth century. It was originally known as 'Station Hospital, York,' but later just became known as the 'Military Hospital, York.' I'm sure that this hospital would have been used throughout the period of the war.

In addition to that, there must have been many smaller auxiliary hospitals and Red Cross hospitals in the city - there was not a corner of England that didn't have them, and I would think that you need some local knowledge if you want more details. How about trying the Rootsweb list for York at:

Rootsweb list for city of York

Regards

Sue

Thank you for your information, Sue.

I had a look at the Rootsweb list for York - I think that I will have to play around with it a bit to get the hang of how it works! Looks a bit daunting!

Will let you know what I find!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure there was also a military hospital off Fulwood Road (A19) just town-side of current Imphal Barracks and also at Strensall.

Chris

There was a military hospital at Haxby Road, York. I know no more about it than that, although I do have a copy of a scanned photograph (postcard I think). It shows what looks like a pre-war building, so it was either a building built for another purpose and taken over for hospital use, or a pre-war military hospital.

Hazel Basford

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Hazel and Chris

Many thanks for your responses to my enquiry on York Military Hospitals. Looking again at the diary entry, I assume that the Hospital where my grandfather was a patient must have been within 'walking' distance of the main rail station - the entry for 13th January 1917 states:

“Got up rather earlier than usual & put on Khaki instead of Blues, had shave & wash. Sitting about till 10.30 when I got Railway Warrant & Pass but had to wait to get ₤1 from major in charge. In giving me the ₤1 he said to me “are you fit for Duty?” & I said “I think so” – allright. I walked from the Hospital down to the station with my Kit Bag and caught the 12.33 express to Kings X...”

Would any of the three identified locations mention by you and Sue be within say 2 - 3 miles of the station?

Cheers

Hi Mike,

There were several auxiliary military hospitals in York -

Askham Grange

Clifford Street Auxiliary Military Hospital

Nunthorpe Hall

St Mary’s Convent

Training College

I do not know the locations so I cannot comment on the proximity to the railway station. Perhaps others can help.

Was your grandfather in the British Army?

Hazel

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sue

Just to update you regards the "Haxby Road Miltary Hospital". Two years ago the Nestle Dining Block to sold to Nuffield hospitals and it is therefore a hospital once more.

Thanks

Paul

Paul

Most appropriate - at least it makes a change from flat conversions! I wonder if they'll retain any metal bedpans and large glass syringes :unsure:

Sue

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SpoonerYork

There is a road in York ( opposite Imphal & Yeomanry Barracks ) called Hospital Fields Road, I was always under the impression this was a Military Hospital.