Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Search for Henry Theodore O'Neill

EdS

Hi, Can anyone help me locate which RAMC hospital or group that my Gt Grandfather Henry Theodore O'Neill was attached to please. I know that he was a Doctor and not a great deal else. I've so far managed to trace the wars of two of my gt grandfather's, one was a stretcher bearer and the other was wounded at Ypres in 1917. It's now Theodore's turn. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Ed

Hi Ed,

I presume you have seen his MIC.?

He was a Captain, RAMC and went to France on 11.9.18..searching..b.9.10.1888.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Thank you, I didn’t notice that he went to France in September 1918. Is there any way of knowing where he was posted or who he was attached to. I’d be interested in finding a regimental diary or any other detail. Thanks again, Ed

He was serving with the 1st Division in 1919.

The 2nd Field Ambulance stated in their war diary that he arrived for duty with them from 1st Division HQ on 19/3/1919.  On 5/4/1919 he proceeded to 1/6th Welsh Regiment for duty.  Presumably he was then posted on again as the A.D.M.S., 1st Division wrote on 12/8/1919 “Lt H T O’Neill MO I/c 1/4th Bn. Cheshire Regiment proceeded to UK on completion of contract.

I haven’t come across any information yet as to where is was from September 1918 until then.

Regards

Barbara

Thank you very much Barbara, that's fantastic. I will head over to the Archives and see what diaries are available.

So between you and Barry it looks like he was posted to France 2 months before Armistice and then onto 2nd Field Ambulance on 19/3/19. Do you expect that he was posted to 1st Division HQ for the preceding months or with a.n.other Field Ambulance or Hospital?       

Just seen the info under your name. I'm going to take a look at your website after this. My Gt Grandfather Harry Mawtus was with 94th Field Ambulance in WW1 and another Great Grandfather was also with Army Veterinary Corps on The Curragh ( Alexander McCarmick) 

I wouldn’t like to hazard a guess. He could have been attached to 1st Division HQ from September 1918, equally though he could have reported to HQ on or around 19/3/1919 and they assigned him to the 2nd Field Ambulance.  

I didn’t come across any other information on him in the medical war diaries of the 1st Division but I could have missed it. If he’s not then hopefully he will be mentioned in a war diary of another unit.

All the best

Barbara

Thanks Barbara, that's really appreciated. It gives me somewhere to start which is great.

Really enjoyed going through your website, it's a great resource. 

All the best,

Ed

Hi Barbara, a long shot i know but do you have access to the 1st Field Ambulance diaries? I see that they were also attached to the 1st Division. Thank you, Ed

Yes I do. I have extracted all the names mentioned in the 1st Field Ambulance, and checked my list, but his name is not there. Not with the 141st Field Ambulance either.

He could have served as an MO with another regiment in the Division in 1918 but I don’t check those. Might be worth attracting researchers from certain regiments. Maybe head it medical officer in the 1st Division?

I am slowly working my way through the war diaries so if I come across his first unit I’ll add him to the on-line database.

Good luck 

Barbara